Sun on Sunday was it a Flop

birdface 21:05 26 Feb 12
Answered

Not heard any news on how good or bad the sales were.

Personally I hope it is a flop we need something to take the smile of R/Ms face. I think he takes it as a bit of a joke the way he has treated members of the public and is all smiles as the new Sunday paper rolls out.

I don't think he has anything to smile about and I for one would never buy it.

That is only my views no doubt there are others that think another Sunday paper is needed and why not the Sun.

Noldi 21:22 26 Feb 12

No not my type of reading that's for sure, none of the red tops are.

Noldi

birdface 21:40 26 Feb 12

I know he was after B SKY B and whether he actually got it or it was stopped pending the news of the World scandal I don't know.

Sales reports were 3.000.000 today whether true or not I don.t know.

Aitchbee 21:47 26 Feb 12

If THE SUNDAY SUN was given away for free...I still wouldn't buy it.

rdave13 22:05 26 Feb 12

AitchBEE, of course you wouldn't buy it if it was free.

mrwoowoo 22:05 26 Feb 12

"If THE SUNDAY SUN was given away for free...I still wouldn't buy it."

Well obviously not. It would be a very silly person who bought something that was free.

Forum Editor 22:18 26 Feb 12

The print run was over 3 million. I'm guessing that sales will have been in excess of two million.

Aitchbee 22:49 26 Feb 12

The use of the word 'buy' has several meanings.

I used the word 'buy', on this occasion, to convey the sense, 'having confidence in'.

Not 'buying' THE SUNDAY SUN means I would give it the THUMBS DOWN!

Millions of people will disagree with me.

birdface 22:49 26 Feb 12

If sales were say 2 million at 50p a paper Not a lot of money to be made at that price.

Will the buyers today still pay the going rate when it goes up to near £1.50 which the N.O.T.W was or somewhere near that.

And also at the IF it is a lot of papers to return 1 million.Do they go to local waste sites or special waste sites to be recycled.

I heard him say on the news that he would be quite happy with a 2 million turnover.

Forum Editor 23:07 26 Feb 12

buteman

"If sales were say 2 million at 50p a paper Not a lot of money to be made at that price."

You're forgetting the substantial advertising income - the advertising space was sold out. The News of the World used to pull in around £40million a year in advertising revenues.

MAJ 23:39 26 Feb 12

It made me think though, when was the last time I bought a newspaper? Turns out it was in 1977 when I was doing my engineering apprenticeship. It was habitually bought at Lisburn railway station, along with a mint Aero and a bottle of Lucozade, the time that particular drink (most drinks now that I think about it) was sold in a glass bottle. All three helped to pass the time on the train journey home. I realised that I enjoyed the rubbish I was eating so much more that the rubbish I was reading that on my next journey home I replaced the newspaper with a toffee crisp and that was the last time I ogled page 3. I think I'm too old now to start reading the Sun again, but thanks Murdock for reminding me of those good old days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac