Suits and Anoraks

morddwyd 20:26 05 Apr 10

The other evening the conversation to clothing and I mentioned that I now only had three suits, the least number I have ever owned, but now that I am retired I didn’t really need any more.

Some present were surprised, as they didn’t even own one (I decided to keep quiet about 20+ ties and two dozen pairs of shoes!).

We then drifted on to anoraks, so to speak, and they were just as surprised to find that not only did I not have one, but I’d never had one.

I was just as surprised to find that some present had as many as six.

So where do you stand on the suits/anoraks line?

Discount those worn for work by the likes of accountants and estate agents, just leisure clobber.

QuizMan 20:56 05 Apr 10

It is jeans that people seemed surprised that I do not possess. I used to have a pair for working in the garden, but never as a fashion item.

sunnystaines 22:14 05 Apr 10

never more than one suit at any one time. in my lifetime had a total of four suites.

Quickbeam 22:31 05 Apr 10

I'm a very casual dresser, even for some training classes that I do. No-one does suits much anymore.

The most formal I do is evening dress, and that I view as much a fancy dress outfit as a gladiator outfit. But then I've never taken life too seriously... have I?

WhiteTruckMan 22:34 05 Apr 10

that the likes of accountants and estate agents wore anoraks for work!

Not got one myself. But owning a truly decent hat goes a long way, weather protection all by itself.

I just have three suits though. But I must declare that they are 'proper' suits, as in three piece ones. Anything else wouldn't feel right. Not wearing a waistcoat would make me feel like a chav having his day in court. or even a footballer (shudders).

(When I used to work in the same place as alan14, my idea of a dress down day was to wear a cardigan)

WTM

jakimo 22:39 05 Apr 10

I very recently disposed of my 1964 wedding suite,but Im not claiming it would still fit though!

Quickbeam 22:51 05 Apr 10

I've got loads of outdoor coats though (I don't use the term anorak).

BT 07:57 06 Apr 10

I don't have any suits. The last one I bought was for my wedding in 1972, which was given to the charity shop when I couldn't get into it any more. I do have a couple of Blazers for Weddings and Funerals but apart from that I do casual.
I've only worn a tie twice in the past eight years both times for funerals.

morddwyd 08:13 06 Apr 10

"Im not claiming it would still fit though!"

I can honestly say that when I got rid of my service greatcoat in 2005, having been issued with it in 1956, it still fitted, though to be fair I would have to admit that it was a bit snug under the arms.

interzone55 08:43 06 Apr 10

I have 3 suits.
My wedding suit, that cost a small fortune and has only been worn once. I doubt it will fit now.
My going to weddings / baptisms / job interviews suit, very smart with a cut that will never be out of fashion (hopefully) so can be worn for many years
My funeral suit, bought from Primark for £20 on the day before my Mother's funeral, now been worn 4 times in the last 2 years.

I have one anorak / kagool, but I really don't like to wear it because it's not in any way breathable, so I sweat like a pig in it. One chap at my gym wears one when exercising, kind of like a portable sauna, but he leaves a trail wherever he goes.

Instead of an anorak I have a NATO forces overcoat that's been re-dyed black, totally waterproof and windproof, and very comfortable, amazing value at £20 from an army surplus shop in Manchester...

WhiteTruckMan 09:19 06 Apr 10

Our birthday suits...

It's been a while since mine had an airing, but I believe it could do with a good ironing.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant