Suffolk Murders

Jak_1 16:23 21 Feb 08

It has been announced this afternoon that Steve Wright has been convicted in Ipswich Crown Court of the murders of the prostitutes.
DNA technology not used before helped the police to secure a conviction.
At least now, in Suffolk, all women and girls in that area can now rest easier knowing a killer is behind bars for a very long time.

Earthsea 16:45 21 Feb 08

I think the fact he admitted to coincidentally being with some of the girls on the same night they were murdered and inexplicably having their blood stains on his coat was a bit of a giveaway. I'm surprised it took the jury as long as 6 hours.

oresome 16:49 21 Feb 08

"was a bit of a giveaway"

That and the fact the murders ceased once he was arrested.

Totally-braindead 16:52 21 Feb 08

Ever done Jury Duty Earthsea? Its a weird experience especially if you get a serious crime involved and you are told to base your verdict on the evidence given. I must admit the last time I had to do it there was huge gaps in the evidence and because of that we had to give a not guilty verdict in that case.
I am sure due to the seriousness of the crime and the amount of evidence that was given its reasonable for them to have taken this length of time to reach their verdict.
I tell you that when you're involved in a jury for something serious it is not a pleasant experience and I for one hope I never get called again.

Blackhat 18:00 21 Feb 08

I have to agree with Totally-braindead on this one, having done jury duty twice, including one serious case, even when the evidence is ‘in your face’ there are 12 people who need to come to a majority verdict. As with any group of people there will always be one or more who will cast a doubt on something.

As an example, this forum has plenty of differing opinions on issues. Put twelve randomly selected people in a room together and between them they will have differing interpretations of the same evidence.

I can recommend the classic film 12 angry men for anyone about to do jury duty.

click here

Cymro. 16:16 22 Feb 08

click here
As the death penalty is (thankfully) no longer an option what would you do with such a man?

I would like nothing better than to have an answer to my own question but like many people I have no answer.

Any suggestions would have to be practical and acceptable to both the government and the general public.

Quickbeam 16:42 22 Feb 08

As I thought on the 'How to kill a human' thread, the family are now all for the re-introduction of the death penalty... an emotive reaction that I suppose even I would take up in the same circumstance.

On the "what would you do with such a man?" question... Hard, very hard labour.

Quickbeam 16:48 22 Feb 08

I've never done jury service, but I did attend a Coroners court as a witness in a fatal traffic accident case.

The preciseness and detail of the evidence, in what I thought was a simple 'dead person' case, is a real eyeopener to the extent of the scrutiny in a legal investigation.

Cymro. 16:55 22 Feb 08

Even though I am against the death penalty I must admit if any such thing happened to someone I loved I would probably feel very differently about it.
I suppose that revenge is very much a natural but terrible reaction at such times.

The suggestion of hard labor has a certain primitive sort of appeal but I doubt if the politicians would go for it.

Quickbeam 17:32 22 Feb 08

I think there are only three options to pick from.

1. Soft punishment with colour TV, heated pool and regular quack treatment etc.

2. Breaking rocks in the hot sun.

3. Hang 'em high.

Take your pick... I make no apologies for simplifying it into the basest of option descriptions.

Forum Editor 18:07 22 Feb 08

"Breaking rocks in the hot sun."

So, we would have to pay to transport these people to a place where there was hot sun - always assuming the government of said place was in agreement?

As for "hang 'em high", I would think that depriving someone of his liberty for the rest of his life was a pretty effective punishment. I doubt that he'll enjoy a heated pool, although TV and medical treatment is probably on the cards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…