Straw poll and help - shaver socket

LastChip 18:00 PM 05 Oct 13
Answered

Many of you were kind enough to offer advice on my central heating project and this is sort of an extension to that.

I've been looking at the regulations for fitting a shaver socket in the bathroom. It appears it can go in zone 2 or 3 provided it's unlikely to be sprayed with water (which is sort of vague IMHO). I guess it really means it mustn't be in a direct line where water has a high probability of reaching it.

Anyway, then someone said to me, people now use them as charging points for electric toothbrushes. So I began to wonder what the real purpose would likely be.

So my questions are, if you have a shaver socket, do you use it and what do you use it for?

And yes, I know it can only be installed by qualified persons.

Woolwell 19:01 PM 05 Oct 13

Shaver and toothbrush.

Aitchbee 19:07 PM 05 Oct 13

I don't have such a socket, but I think one of those fancy 'plug-in' ionisers / air-fresheners, might be a good use for it.

john bunyan 19:34 PM 05 Oct 13

I have a combined light with concealed shaver socket (not used).

woodchip 20:25 PM 05 Oct 13

It used to be sited so you could not reach it from Sink etc. So you could not touch Metal like Taps and Anything you plugged in. As you already know Water and Electrics do not mix.

The above also applies to Kitchen

woodchip 20:30 PM 05 Oct 13

This may help

click here this

click here

and

bumpkin 20:54 PM 05 Oct 13

"So my questions are, if you have a shaver socket, do you use it and what do you use it for?"

Put one in on my first bathroom refurb never used it once. Second refurb did not bother as I don't use one and now too many regs anyway.

If you want to charge up a shaver or toothbrush you can do it from any socket why the bathroom.

bumpkin 20:58 PM 05 Oct 13

Total waste of money in my opinion.

Woolwell 21:56 PM 05 Oct 13

bumpkin - It is handy to have a charger for a shaver or toothbrush in the bathroom where you use it rather than go into another room Besides which the charger plugs are designed for shaver sockets and I would have to use an adaptor to use a standard socket. So not a total waste of money in my opinion.

bumpkin 22:38 PM 05 Oct 13

woolwell, I take your point but a shaver or toothbrush should not need charging everyday so it does not strike me as too much effort to do this in a bedroom. Adapters are about £1 or you can spend £150 to have a socket in your bathroom you still have to plug the charger in.

Woolwell 23:09 PM 05 Oct 13

Charged weekly but I also have a shaver cleaner which uses the socket.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Animated film of Raymond Briggs' Ethel and Ernest ramps up production

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…