strange telephone number

jolorna 11:32 19 Jan 07

last night we had a phone call from 08888888888 saying they would call back later even the code part doesn't show up in a google search

lisa02 11:57 19 Jan 07

I dialled it and it's not a valid number. Wait til they call back.

johndrew 11:59 19 Jan 07

I Googled it and found click here
!!??

I also had a choice of click here !!!!

lisa02 12:00 19 Jan 07

Family Name: Egbert
First Name: Nobacon
Middle/Maiden Name: Butsomesausages
Residence: 21 fry up street food city

Well done johndrew.

jolorna 12:10 19 Jan 07

sounds like its just a gimic thing looking at johndrew's first link

jolorna 12:12 19 Jan 07

i didn't want to dial it incase it was some means of getting into your line

jolorna 12:21 19 Jan 07

thanks lisa02 & johndrew for that will tick resoved

spuds 17:46 19 Jan 07

If you are unduly concerned, contact your telephone company, and see if they can throw any light on the number.

€dstowe 22:20 19 Jan 07

Why would someone call you to tell you that they would call later? If they had anything to say, surely it could have been said there and then.

I am reminded of a call my parents had:

"This is an important call from Lloyds TSB. Press any key to continue."

Why does one have to press a key to continue? The caller could have just carried on when the phone was answered.

jolorna 22:59 19 Jan 07

thats what puzzled me about the call

spuds 12:03 20 Jan 07

'Press any key to continue'. Wasn't there something about this 'scam' and a premium line connection mentioned on the internet and in some computer magazines late last year. Didn't Ofcom get involved in an investigation, and the culprits were found to originate from the China/ Far East region!.

Things seem to have gone quiet, since the incident was brought to light. Perhaps there are new 'ventures' unfolding in the New Year?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…