Strange cookie installed by PCA

freaky 20:40 07 Aug 06

Periodically I clean out my cookies, but there are some I keep including the ones installed from this site. If I delete the PCA cookies, then I have go through the log in procedure !

One day last week when I 'logged in' I received a message asking if I wanted to load an index, plus a warning from my Firewall about it. So I declined. I now find the following cookie installed - pcadviser.uk.smarttargetting.c..

This is an additional PCA cookie, and I think it has something to do with the 'index' request.

I hope I am not becoming paranoid, but possibly someone may enlighten me.

VoG II 21:01 07 Aug 06

I think that this is the one that does the underlining.

I don't get any of this as I run a hosts file and use Firefox.

freaky 21:09 07 Aug 06

I did not know you could underline, and have not noticed any post's where any of the text was underlined. Can you explain further please ?

SG Atlantis® 21:11 07 Aug 06

underlined advert hyperlinks.

the 3 in this thread are firewall , hosts and firefox

see?

SG Atlantis® 21:14 07 Aug 06

ok, why didn't mine turn green and underlined?

Freaky the site makes specific words green, underlined and when ya move the mouse over it a little pop up appears. Adverisers pay PCA for the privilege.

freaky 21:27 07 Aug 06

Yep noticed that and appreciate the reason, but do not understand the relevance this has to my orignal question.

SG Atlantis® 21:37 07 Aug 06

VoG™
Mon, [email protected]:01

I think that this is the one that does the underlining.

/quote

If you delete the cookies then you need to log in again, it's the cookies that tell PCA servers to keep you logged in.

I think.

freaky 22:08 07 Aug 06

Yep, I know if you retain the cookies from the PCA website, then you not need to go through the login procedure so ?

freaky 15:26 10 Aug 06

For the sake of tidiness I will mark this topic as resolved. But as a matter of interest, I would still be interested to know what the 'index' was that tried to load.

SG Atlantis® 16:02 10 Aug 06

Not that I've ever seen it...
but maybe an index of all the green hyperlinked ad words?

Just a guess, either that or it wasn't from PCA towers...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5