Storm-tracking

Forum Editor 19:36 12 Jun 06

It might be helpful if forum members could post with information about thunderstorms as they occur up and down the country.

Each summer we see threads from people who have experienced equipment damage as a result of lightning strikes. With a forum the size of ours it should be fairly easy to provide pretty good real-time data on storm movements as they happen.

octal 19:44 12 Jun 06

I've been using this site for a couple of years to keep an eye on thunderstorms click here

And just out of interest this site gives information on the effect of mains surges and the reason why surge protected sockets might not protect your equipment as well as you would expect in thunderstorms.

click here

ayrmail 20:31 12 Jun 06

An interesting idea regardless of protecting our electrical equipment, I am interested in seeing the speed, quality and quantity of the response.

ayrmail 20:32 12 Jun 06

Sorry meant to say count me in, last storm we had in Dumfries was spectacular.

ade.h 20:39 12 Jun 06

Anyone who does not have all their IT equipment powered via a surge protector with a modem cable socket is just asking for trouble. It's a cheap and simple precaution.

pj123 20:49 12 Jun 06

No sign of any thunderstorms here in Norwich at the moment. In fact today's temperature is higher than it is in Damascus, and even Cyprus (where a friend is on holiday at the moment).

amonra 21:10 12 Jun 06

The electricity pole outside our house got a direct hit about 2 years ago and wiped out all my household appliances including the computer. I was sitting in front of the monitor when it happened and the brown stain is still visible on my chair ! The storm occurred without warning so there was no time to switch off and save anything.
Sorry ade.1 if lightning decides to strike then there is NOTHING you can do to protect your equipment. All these surge protectors and voltage limiters just dont act fast enough to kill a large spike. Even if they do conduct, they only limit the volts to around 200v which is way too high for most elecronic gear.
The most efficient form of protection is a battery operated non-interuptable supply, at least there are two stages between the mains and your equipment.

ade.h 21:25 12 Jun 06

ade.1??

I assume you mean me.

Well, I would dispute that and so, I'd assume, would Belkin; otherwise it would not give a substantial warranty with its surge protectors and UPSs to cover thousands of pounds worth of equipment damage, would it? Checking my warranty terms, I can see no clause about lightning.

ade.h 21:28 12 Jun 06

Here's mine click here and at the bottom; Lightning Protection.

wolfie3000 21:33 12 Jun 06

we are having a huge electrical storm at the moment but as i see it iv used my pc through countless storms with no ill affects so will continue to do so,

I know i am taking a huge risk and i dont reccomend others to follow my recklessness.

I think the storm is heading north im in north wiltshire so it will be in south wales soon.

Steve- 21:49 12 Jun 06

I look at the Upminster site and also an IOW site; click here

They give very differing results and input fron this Post may let me decide which is calibrated correctly.

It's interesting that the storm refered to by wolfie3000 is not showing on either site as of now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…