Storm Thorgerson dies...

Quickbeam 08:26 AM 20 Apr 13

Never heard of Storm Thorgerson? Nor me.

But I'll bet most of us are unwittingly more familiar with his artwork than any other artist.

Other than that, what a fantastic Viking name!

Forum Editor 08:38 AM 20 Apr 13

Talking about the 'prism' cover he designed for Pink Floyd’s 'Dark side of the moon' He said:

“We had six ideas, but they were short of time so they saw the prism and said ‘Right, that’ll do’. They didn’t even look at the others.”

It has been described as one of the greatest album covers of all time.

Condom 08:39 AM 20 Apr 13

As a great fan of The Pink Floyd I was aware of his work but not that he had died. Certainly a great artist in the pop industry but I can't honestly say that I know much about him. His work will always be remembered.

carver 08:58 AM 20 Apr 13

I have to admit that I have seen his work and have admired it greatly but did not put his name to it.

Quickbeam thank you for this, at least I can now put a name to work I just admired before as art.

Quickbeam 09:31 AM 20 Apr 13

I'm more impressed by his name, it's straight out of Norse mythology. I can just imagine him fighting Heimdallr on his way over the Bifrost bridge.

Forum Editor 09:44 AM 20 Apr 13

"straight out of Norse mythology"

It's an uncommon name in Norway - far more common in America in fact.

Storm had Norwegian parents, but he was born in Britain.

Aitchbee 09:48 AM 20 Apr 13

Storm's 'finger-ripping' artwork on the Peter Gabriel LP cover is particularly arresting.

canarieslover 10:30 AM 20 Apr 13

One of the great things about vinyl albums was that the artwork was so much bigger and easier to appreciate and there was so much space available on the rear to give credit to everybody. His work wasn't just with Pink Floyd but obviously that was a milestone in cover design for which he will really be remembered.

bumpkin 18:19 PM 20 Apr 13

Physical Grafitti (Led Zeppelin) and Exile on Main Street (RolLing Stones) had interesting sleeves if anyone can remember. Were they the work of Storm Thorgeson whom I have never heard of either, clever guy anyway.

Aitchbee 18:48 PM 20 Apr 13

... the lead guitarist of Led Zeppelin Jimmy Page sacked Storm when his notion to include a racket on the cover of 'Houses of The Holy' cover [ equals LOUD noise ] didn't go down too well!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/storm-thorgerson-graphic-designer-whose-art-was-central-to-the-work-of-pink-floyd-8580885.html

Physical Graffiti the follow-up album's cover was, I suspect,someone else's creation.

Kevscar1 19:12 PM 20 Apr 13

Never heard of him never seen the pictures totally unimpressed

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

MIT builds an awesome 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites