Storing fresh beef for Christmas

Graham. 15:36 22 Dec 10

I have just collected a rib of beef joint from the Farm Shop. We're having it for Christmas Day as a change from turkey. It is just wrapped in a polythene bag, not packaged as in a supermarket.

I've put it in an airtight container in the bottom of the fridge. My question is, should I take it out of the wrapping>

wiz-king 15:41 22 Dec 10

Yes.

Forum Editor 15:51 22 Dec 10

It should breathe.

My beef rib joint is hanging in one of my sheds. It's 1.5C in there, which is cooler than my fridge, and the air can get to the beef. I hope the foxes and mice can't.

wee eddie 16:03 22 Dec 10

Wrap it in an old piece of cloth and store it anywhere that is Rodent, Animal and Bird proof.

Any temperature below 4'C should be suitable. Hanging from the rafters is best. If possible, try to avoid it freezing solid, but that would not be a major disaster and have a drip tray beneath it.

john 52 16:12 22 Dec 10

Let the beef get air to it ! the problem with supermarket meat is that it is not hung long enough! to be honest if the outside is dark and dry looking so much the better

v1asco 16:15 22 Dec 10

Apartment living means I can't do any of the above. My Butcher has vac packed mine for me instead.

john 52 16:16 22 Dec 10

Not that I am suggesting that your meat is supermarket meat !

Forum Editor 16:18 22 Dec 10

I was once taken to a restaurant in New York where they serve steaks that have been dry-aged for six months.

Best rib steak I have ever eaten, bar none.

Graham. 17:06 22 Dec 10

That describes my joint. I was a little worried it wasn't bright red.

I've now unwrapped it and crumpled some greaseproof paper for it to sit on.

Thanks all.

spuds 17:26 22 Dec 10

I notice quite a few supermarkets are now selling 'matured' 25 day beef.

If you buy vacuumed packed pork, it will most likely tell you on the packet about the 'pink' colour, and that the meat should be taken out of the wrapper and 'aired', so as to regain its original composure.

When we use to keep pigs, and have a regular supply of rabbit, hare and venison, we always use to 'hang' the meat for later consumption.

I am still unsure as to why my father use to 'hang' game birds, wood pigeons, crows etc with a blackberry or similar fruit in its beak. Would anyone know the answer to this?.

Forum Editor 17:34 22 Dec 10

I'm not sure about the blackberry in the beak, but I can tell you that blackberry syrup - preferably with a touch of brandy added - is a delicious and traditional accompaniment to roast pheasant.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…