Steptoe and Son

Autoschediastic 19:46 20 Dec 11

Evening everyone, ive just bought the complete boxset all 1-8 series, i wanted to research them and im shocked that they hated one another? & yet worked so fantastic "In character" how professional was that..

Info

Aitchbee 20:05 20 Dec 11

Hah rolled!.... I remember it back in the sixties; the frosty relationship between the two actors must have sharpened their acting skills on live TV to a T.

morddwyd 20:12 20 Dec 11

It's called acting.

Autoschediastic 20:19 20 Dec 11

morddwyd "Its called acting"..? Yes & it was done in its finest indeed! god bless them both, The old man "Wilfred" was gay again something i wasnt aware of not that it makes any difference...

Aitchbee 20:44 20 Dec 11

Here is a Glasgow version, Gregor Fisher n Billy Boyd,

I hope English people will understand...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWl3gB03Xg4

Autoschediastic 21:15 20 Dec 11

AitchBEE "Rab c Nesbitt" is a true legend! i remember him doing a sketch years ago about the poll tax as it was called back then..fantastic & funny guy!

Woolwell 21:28 20 Dec 11

Wilfrid Brambell was Irish and ironically when he played an Irishman his accent was criticised.

Armchair 21:32 20 Dec 11

I had that boxset. I thought that the picture quality on the black and white episodes was shockingly bad, even allowing for their age.

interzone55 22:00 20 Dec 11

Armchair

I had that boxset. I thought that the picture quality on the black and white episodes was shockingly bad, even allowing for their age.

They were filmed in the old 405 line system, when upscaled to 576 lines for DVD release the picture is stretched to add in the extra lines.

If you then watch that DVD on a 1080p HD TV the picture is stretched again.

It's a wonder you could see anything at all

Quickbeam 07:18 21 Dec 11

It was their personal hatred that made the scripting work so well, most of the episodes had them at each others throats over something or another. Morddwyd has it spot on with the simple it's called acting line. On screen they were very professional actors portraying the aggravations of a younger Vs older family member in the same house.

Back to Steptoe, the episode where they divide the house into two separate living accommodations complete with a turnstile at the bottom of the stairs is probably one of the best ever of British TV comedy episodes.

morddwyd 07:24 21 Dec 11

"No, it's not. I think the TO was referring to the alleged personal animosity between the two actors not the characters they portrayed."

Don't be so damned patronising.

I know perfectly well what the TO was referring to.

In the series there was familial affection, albeit muted, between them.

In real life there was simply cordial (or perhaps not so cordial) dislike, but respect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…