Is this a step in the right direction by Cameron?

hssutton 14:22 12 May 09

Is this a step in the right direction by Cameron? Or too little too late

MPs' expenses: David Cameron forces senior Tory MPs to pay back money.

click here

Stuartli 14:43 12 May 09

David Cameron also said Sorry first.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:58 12 May 09

I'll believe it when he sacks the ones fiddling (for there is no other word for it)their expenses. paying back money that they STOLE is not good enough.

G

hssutton 15:32 12 May 09

Inclined to agree with you, but unfortunately there would be precious few "Honorable Members" left.

There is another way of looking at it do we really need Parliament. As most of our laws are now made in Europe, we could sack or make redundant the lot of them.

Spark6 15:33 12 May 09

Let's wait and see. Sorry, is easy to say and, quite often, meaningless.

newman35 15:53 12 May 09

At least he has stood up to a press conference and answered (as far as possible) his critics - more than the other fella has done?

But, as has already been said, just paying back a bit of what you effectively stole, is hardly enough.
Public anger continues...?

oresome 15:59 12 May 09

If he'd put a stop to it before the public exposure there might have been some merit in it.

As it is, it was simply done to wrong foot Gordon and gain some perceived political advantage.

Forum Editor 16:02 12 May 09

is not good enough"

As far as I'm aware there have been no allegations of theft, and certainly no convictions, so at the moment nobody has stolen anything. That kind of over-dramatic and sweeping statement is not only innacurate, it's defamatory, and we'll have no more of it please.

Rules may have been liberally interpreted, and there are undoubtedly moral issues to be addressed, but as far as I know there haven't been any criminal acts involved.

Monoux 16:18 12 May 09

Tax evasion i.e. failure to declare for Capital Gains Tax IS a criminal offence and can lead to a spell at on of Her Majesties institutions.

hssutton 16:34 12 May 09

There appears to be a gathering momentum to pay back the money they haven't stolen.

natdoor 16:40 12 May 09

Cameron may have been first to apologise. I haven't followed the chronolgy. However, he kept very quiet until the revelations affected his party and had previously opposed the PM's proposal to abolish second home allowances in favour of an attendance allowance. That may be because opposition MPs do not need to attend as frequently as members of the government.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5