A stealth tax too far?

TopCat® 20:13 02 Apr 12
Answered

Taxes to the right of us; taxes to the left. Taxes on just about everything in this country and now they are thinking of demanding "drivers to pay £288 a year to just to park at work." Employers providing more than ten spaces will have to pay and the levy has already come into force by the Nottingham City Council. It is thought that the scheme will eventually roll-out nationwide! stealth tax details

My working days are long over but that doesn't stop me from utterly condemning such a lowdown sneaky way of raising more revenue from the working people of Britain. Whoever devised this levy should, in my opinion, be hung, drawn and quartered and then taxed to the hilt! What's your opinion on this, fellow members? Shall we march on Westminster, forsooth? :) TC.

lotvic 20:22 02 Apr 12

Nay, twas April 1st yesterday.

Seriously I thought it was a joke until I read your link. This is diabolical, same idiocy as the nurses having to pay to park in hospital car park. As you said - Taxes everywhere.

morddwyd 21:29 02 Apr 12

In this day and age free parking is a perk, like luncheon vouchers.

Of course it should be taxed.

Forum Editor 22:25 02 Apr 12

"Of course it should be taxed"

I'm afraid I'm in agreement,much as it pains me to say so.

Condom 22:56 02 Apr 12

Again this smacks to me of London thinking being rolled out over the country. London has public transport facilities that other places would kill for. Many towns have little to offer in that way and a car is pretty much a necessity. If I was still working I wouldn't be able to reach my old place of work by public transport and I would certainly not get home at night as much of what we do have stops running at 6pm.

There is no public transport that goes from where we live to our local hospital where my wife has to work shifts so public transport is totally out of the question but she still has to pay to park her car.

If I do go into town I normally travel Park & Ride but again as the car park is locked at 6.30 Pm after the last bus has arrived I have often had to leave what I was doing early in case my car gets locked up for the night.

Chegs ®™ 04:27 03 Apr 12

I live in rural england where public transport is a joke,yet recently I read that the Council was considering introducing a parking charge for residents in the town centre.The Council are presently pushing a huge new office development to reduce the congestion on the (only) route to/from Sellafield hoping to attract 600+ office staff from Sellafield.I presume that these 600 staff are supposed to walk to/from work,as the multi-storey carpark just along the road from the site of the development is privately owned and rarely used as its expensive.I know what will happen to these workers cars,they'll park on the supermarket carpark a similar distance in the opposite direction as they do on other supermarket carparks around the town.When Tesco at the northern end of town announced they were going to start charging people for longer than 2hrs parking,the workers who'd previously used Tescos carpark simply parked up the hill,frequently blocking access to the residents homes.Every time any attempt is made to ease traffic flow by creating laybys/painting yellow lines or whatever,vehicles simply ignore the restrictions/laybys & park where they've always done then write to the local paper complaining if they're unlucky enough to get a ticket(or the Council who then cancel the ticket)

We had no Parking Wardens for a few months(the council didn't renew the contract)and the streets were hell to negotiate in a vehicle as double parking quickly became the norm,so did parking on junctions/corners/bus stops as the vehicle owners "were only going to be a minute getting their chips/newspapers/weekly shopping" etc & frequently were a lot longer than a "minute" thus roads rapidly became blocked.Almost every week,there are articles in the local paper about groups of parents forming together to try & address the hazards presented to their children by parents dropping kids at the school gates.Instead of forming a group,make the children walk to school(shock/horror,even in the rain)Instead of complaining about parking charges to park at work,walk.I walked to/from school from infants through to grammar school(and then walked to/from work,at least until I became a delivery driver)my daughter also walks to/from school & always has.To save costs,the council has recently cancelled the concessionary travel scheme for "faith" schools in the area & the outcry from parents,you'd think the council had announced they were going to start beheading the children.When Sellafield announced they were ending the concessionary travel scheme for its workers,barely a murmur was heard from the workforce(who seem to insist that as they're on good wages & can afford a new car,they're going to use it so all you ever see is single occupancy vehicles nose-to-tail on every road in the area)You do see quite a few cyclists heading in/out of Sellafield,but unfortunately you also read about (roughly one a year) them being killed.

interzone55 08:16 03 Apr 12

Can someone please point out how this can be a stealth tax.

There's nothing stealthy about it.

canarieslover 09:27 03 Apr 12

Before I retired I worked 7.5 miles from home. Car journey approximately 15 minutes. Bicycle in the summer approximately 30 minutes. To take the bus meant two changes, or one change and a mile walk, approximately 75 minutes. Train was one change and approximately 60 minutes plus a two mile walk to the station. Cost of train or bus was far in excess of the cost of running a car, not counting the loss of living hours that I spent on public transport. Do I live in a rural area? No. I live just outside the London Metropolitan area and needed to go across public transport routes instead of along them. I was not the only worker there who was suffering the same travel problem so I could see that any charge imposed for parking would have attracted a claim for increased wages to cover those extra costs. Cost of product of the company would then have gone up to retain their profit margin so all it does eventually is to feed inflation and everybody suffers.

proudfoot 10:35 03 Apr 12

The people who come up with these bright ideas always seem to think that public transport is the answer. As has been mentioned previously many millions of of the population do not have access to public transport. When I worked there was a bus at about 09.00hrs and a return about 16.00hrs. I would have had to change buses once. A car was the only means of getting anywhere. Below is an amusing email I received this morning

UK Tax Guidance

Sometime this year, we taxpayers will again receive another 'Economic Stimulus' payment.

This is indeed a very exciting program, and I'll explain it by using a Q & A format:

Q. What is an 'Economic Stimulus' payment ?

A. It is money that the government will send to taxpayers.

Q.. Where will the government get this money ?

A. From taxpayers.

Q. So the government is giving me back my own money ?

A. Only a smidgen of it.

Q. What is the purpose of this payment ?

A. The plan is for you to use the money to purchase a high-definition TV set, thus stimulating the economy.

Q. But isn't that stimulating the economy of China ?

A. Shut up.

Below is some helpful advice on how to best help the U.K. economy by spending your stimulus cheque wisely:

• If you spend the stimulus money at Asda or Tesco, the money will go to China , Taiwan or Sri Lanka .

• If you spend it on petrol, your money will go to the Arabs.

• If you purchase a computer, it will go to India , Taiwan or China .

• If you purchase fruit and vegetables, it will go to Mexico , Honduras and Guatemala ..

• If you buy an efficient car, it will go to Japan or Korea ..

• If you purchase useless stuff, it will go to Taiwan .

• If you pay your credit cards off, or buy shares, it will go to management bonuses and they will hide it offshore.

Instead, keep the money in the UK by:

1) Spending it at car boot sales, or

2) Going to night clubs, or

3) Spending it on prostitutes, or

4) Beer or whisky or

5) Tattoos.

(These are the only UK businesses still operating in the U.K. )

Conclusion:

Be patriotic - go to a night club with a tattooed prostitute that you met at a car boot sale and drink beer day and night !

No need to thank me, I'm just glad I could be of help.

TopCat® 15:55 03 Apr 12

Out of general interest, and in order to get an unbiased opinion of Nottingham today, I came across this story in their local news about a city centre business closing because of weekend parking charges being recently introduced. A sudden large drop in customer numbers was named as the main reason. Reading further from their news items convinces me, I'm afraid, to stay well away! TC.

proudfoot 17:13 03 Apr 12

Forum Member. Your post does not take into account of those workers who do not have access to public transport.My local market town are proposing to introduce car parking charges. We regularly go to the town every Saturday to have a trip out, do a bit of extra shopping and have a cup of coffee. When it is introduced we will either go elsewhere or not at all. The market and existing shops are struggling. No doubt there will be more empty shops or charity shops.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…