Stable Doors and Bolted come to mind

Bingalau 11:14 07 Mar 07

Looks as if he's a little late with this one... Copied and Pasted....

Reid targets illegal immigrants

John Reid says identity cards are central to measures
A new clampdown is aimed at preventing "foreigners" coming to the UK illegally and "stealing our benefits" and NHS services, the home secretary has said.
John Reid told the BBC he wanted to make life "uncomfortable and constrained" for illegal immigrants.

royalflush 11:53 07 Mar 07

"Bingalau"
Youve heard of the song "You took the words right outa my mind" well you did..lol
i was going to post this first thing this morning,its soooo true why the hell didnt they think of this in 1997 when things could of been controled more & before things got outa hand.now its known as a joke living here through various persons i know who are not english,the doors are all open for them & have been for years..tax payers getting hammered again.....

johndrew 12:09 07 Mar 07

Another interesting action from the very same group that took away the teeth from our Immigration Service!!

At one time all non-British Passport holders were recorded both on entry to and exit from our country.

I agree with Bingalau, `Stable Doors and Bolted` do come to mind as does yet another excuse to waste more money on Identity Cards. Given that our new style passports are already in a condition that can easily be compromised click here what chance is there of the Identity Card being secure?

Kate B 12:19 07 Mar 07

I think you're thinking of "you took the words right out of my mouth", not "mind" - Meatloaf! ;-)

Forum Editor 18:32 07 Mar 07

and like all people who panic, he's acting before he has had time to think things through properly.

Rather than spend money on measures to make life here "uncomfortable and constrained" for illegal immigrants it might be better to examine ways to prevent them from becoming illegal immigrants in the first place.

Mr. Reid's other scheme is to send people text messages when their permission to enter our country expires "Your permit is about to expire - please make arrangements to leave the UK as soon as possible". I've never heard of such a ludicrous idea. People who give immigration officials their mobile details will be giving them a pay as you go SIM number - which they will promptly toss in the nearest bin if they intend to ignore their permit expiry date.

tony58 19:48 07 Mar 07

is there an election due?

Al94 20:33 07 Mar 07

John Reid has clearly lost the plot with such an utterly crass ridiculous idea, I couldn't believe what I was hearing on this morning's news - if that is the standard of government we are reduced to then God help us!

Stuartli 20:41 07 Mar 07

In my view John Reid, noted for his upbringing in a very rough area of Glasgow, has proved a wonderful figure of fun in recent times as he suddenly seeks to portray a kindly, caring individual.

His normally arrogant, aggressive manner has "mellowed" over this period and been replaced as a seemingly engaging and caring Home Secretary in media interviews or in the House of Commons - just might be something to do with the fact that he would like to be Deputy (or perhaps even) Prime Minister...:-)

The old saying that a leopard never changes its spots springs to mind.

ulrich 20:57 07 Mar 07

I am a good 100% English/British citizen who doesn't own a mobile phone. I wonder how many illegal immigrants do. Monty Python you have a replacement.

johndrew 14:24 08 Mar 07

`John Reid is panicking ..`

Excellent from a highly paid public figure!! Thank God it`s not the middle of the cold war and his finger is on the button!!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:42 08 Mar 07

I think he is doing an "Edwina Currie" and taking the pressure off the PM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…