St Swithin`s Day

anchor 11:16 14 Jul 07

Tomorrow is St Swithin`s day. Here is a quote from todays "Times".

"Tomorrow is St Swithin’s Day, which predicts 40 days of rain if the weather is wet that day. Similar sayings are found through Western Europe, and there is a grain of scientific truth to them.

In early to mid-July the weather tends to settle into a pattern as the jet stream, a river of wind a few miles high, often fixes its track across the Atlantic, and where the jet stream goes, the wet weather tends to follow. For this St Swithin’s Day, the Met Office is predicting particularly heavy downpours for England and Wales".

Get those umbrellas out.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:20 14 Jul 07

After 40 days of wet weather I was hoping for something better for the next 40.

Stuartli 11:31 14 Jul 07

By the law of averages, we are due a better spell of weather after the last five or six weeks whatever tomorrow brings.

WhiteTruckMan 11:37 14 Jul 07

By the law of averages #someone# should be due a spell of better weather. Going off past performances that #someone# will probably be someone else :-(

WTM

benjiboots 11:38 14 Jul 07

Is there nothing more interesting to talk about than the weather!!!!

anchor 14:59 14 Jul 07

"Is there nothing more interesting to talk about than the weather".

Try telling that to the poor souls in those flooded parts of the UK who have lost so much.

laurie53 20:41 14 Jul 07

Does that apply to storming prisons as well?

If the French storm a Bastille today, will they be storming one for the next 40 days?

Sorry - it's the silly season!

Stuartli 22:17 14 Jul 07

According to weather reports, there's a lot of rain due tomorrow over much of the UK.

We must hope that those in the areas which have been flooded recently don't have to suffer yet again.

dan* 22:27 14 Jul 07

" We must hope that those in the areas which have been flooded recently don't have to suffer yet again. "

Well said.

Kev.Ifty 22:47 14 Jul 07

In the Midlands the weather has been gloriously sunny.

I was talking to my mate on the phone at around 18:00 apparently it was chucking it down in Belfast.

I remember about ten years ago driving from Banbury to Chipping Norton. Half way along the 361 it started snowing. There was about 1/4 inch in Chippy. On my return to Banbury (10 miles away) there was no snow.

avesnes1 08:00 16 Jul 07

Stuartli and WhiteTruckMan
If you Google "law of averages", you'll find that it doesn't exist. There is, apparantly, a law of large numbers!?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…