Sri Lankan Maid to be Beheaded

Pesala 19:52 03 Sep 07

BBC Article: click here

Buddhist Forum Discussion: click here

bluto1 21:04 03 Sep 07

I saw the article earlier and it saddens me greatly. I worked there for a number of years, and although I do hope the girl is freed, I fear greatly that she won't be.
All that compassionate people can do is pray. The Saudis are implacable where a foreigner is concerned. Their attitude being that nothing untoward would have happened had that person not been there.

Forum Editor 22:48 03 Sep 07

that the Saudis are unlikely to respond to calls for leniency at this late stage, but there are aspects of this case that give cause for grave concern.

The girl was convicted without being allowed legal representation, and despite the fact that it seems clear her earlier confession was made under duress, and without benefit of legal advice. Even the Saudi judge urged the father of the dead baby to exercise his right under Sharia law to pardon the accused girl. He refused to do so.

sunny staines 15:52 04 Sep 07

article does do say how it died if accidental through lack of care or outright murder. This would have a bearing on the sentence i feel.

Riojaa 16:38 04 Sep 07

Reading the 2nd link and one is left feeling that because Sri Lanka is involved then the girl has to be a buddhist, so the W. Austalia Buddhist Society starts pleading after "skimming through BBC news online and came across an article that really made me sad ".

Nepotism at it's best? Worst!
Somehow I get the feeling that the Buddhist Society would skip over any other non-Buddhist mercy pleas.

Pesala 16:49 04 Sep 07

This Asian Tribune Article click here says:

"While she was feeding the child the boy started choking, as so often happens to babies and Naffeek Rizana panicked and while shouting for help tried to sooth the child by feeling the chest, neck and face, doing whatever she could to help him. At her shouting the mother arrived but by that time the baby was either unconscious or dead."

I don't see any reason to suspect murder. In that situation, who would be so daft as to murder a baby and then call the mother?

I don't think there would be much of a case to argue if she had murdered the baby, as the law of the land should be respected if you go to a foreign country. One could only appeal for clemency.

However, this looks like a miscarriage of justice. A confession signed under duress, no motive, no legal representation, etc.

Pesala 16:55 04 Sep 07

Reading the 2nd link and one is left feeling that because Sri Lanka is involved then the girl has to be a buddhist."

I got the impression that the girl was neither Sinhalese, nor a Buddhist, but a Moslem. She spent two years in prison learning Sinhalese? She would then more likely be a Tamil or of Arab descent. Rizana Nafeek doesn't look like a Buddhist name to me, though I'm no expert on Sri Lankan culture.

Pesala 16:59 04 Sep 07

Mohammad Rezina, mother of Rizana Nafeek, with two of her daughters at home in Sri Lanka

click here

Pesala 17:07 04 Sep 07

click here

She is Sri Lankan Moslem, not a Sinhalese Buddhist. She entered Saudia Arabia with the help of a traffiker with a falsified passport as should would have been too young otherwise.

Riojaa 17:16 04 Sep 07

Excellent research Pesala and a valiant defender of the faith.

Forum Editor 18:05 04 Sep 07

whether she's a Buddhist, a Moslem, or a tree-hugging New Age hippy, she's a human being, and apart from making a confession under duress, without benefit of an interpreter she has been denied access to legal representation.

By any standards this has the smell of a miscarriage of justice - even the Sharia court judge felt something wasn't right.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…