squaddies told dont wear uniforms/peterborough

frankie 21:41 07 Mar 08

agree with wars or not the boys and girls lay there lifes on line for other,s my god wheres this country gone,cant fly flag,petrol going up daily virtually,,backdoor taxes,cant get politicians to answer direct questions,streets a war zone,local pubs closing daily,food prices rocketing,bugs in wheelie bins,people forced to spend petrol to go to recycle centres to be told only take one bag wood etc,goes on and on,,but my england i love it...but give us our pride back,something to look forward too,for our kids,,,

Jak_1 21:51 07 Mar 08

Again, it is a minority that are causing the trouble. At one time all servicemen and women had to wear uniform both in barracks or out in the time. However, people in uniform were seen as easy targets back in the 60s and it then became optional to go out either in uniform or in smart civvies. In the 70's things got worse and all had to wear civvies when going out, wearing uniform outside of barracks only when performing official duties/ ceremonies.
This latest incident has shown that the abuse has plumbed to new depths, it's not just armed service personel who are subject to abuse but all; police, fireman, ambulance personel and nurses, even sea cadets etc.

STREETWORK 22:08 07 Mar 08

I did 20 years in the services and carried out tasks in places which never made the press, I am proud of what I did and why.

Stand up an be counted and do not bow to the minority who either do not understand 'why' but chose to be totally ignorant of the bigger picture.

Maybe rememberance parade will be in civies this year, heaven forbid...

bluto1 22:19 07 Mar 08

I too have done my 22+ years and am very proud of having worn my RAF uniform. This scum that's causing trouble need locking up so that decent folk can go unmolested. I feel sorry for the lads and the girls who live with their families in Peterborough. What a pity that political correctness prevented identification of those troublemakers.

Bingalau 22:31 07 Mar 08

I am old enough to remember when all service people in uniform got perks such as half price at the pictures and football grounds etc. This was after WW2 by the way.

When I joined up, I was given a piece of brown paper and a piece of string with which to parcel up the civvies I stood up in and send them home. Then we were not allowed out of barracks until we had reached the stage (three weeks), where our uniforms fitted properly and we had reached a certain degree of smartness. We were certainly not allowed out in anything other than uniform. The locals were also proud to have us in their midst. That applied in every British area I ever served in and most of the foreign ones too.

What's gone wrong? I could hazard a guess but it would upset a lot of the PC forum members.

I think all the service people who have not been told specifically to wear civilian attire (mufti) should make a point of being in uniform every time they leave barracks to annoy these vermin even more.

Jim Thing 22:40 07 Mar 08

...isn't 100% correct to say that "at one time all servicemen and women had to wear uniform both in barracks or out..." If I remember correctly, personnel from RNAS Eglinton (now City of Derry Airport) weren't allowed to visit Londonderry in uniform back in the late 1940s/early 1950s. Also my dodgy memory is telling me that the same rule was in force at RNAS Abbotsinch (now Glasgow International Airport) on the days when Rangers were playing Celtic.

I wonder who'll be first to moan this time about the amount of ex-servicemens' chatter on this forum...

frankie 22:42 07 Mar 08

i salute you.appreciate people like you,and the reason we can still speak english,you and the fallen, have given us the freedom we desire,my father was german he fought against us in the war,was captured but allowed to live in england,he taught us values and respect,also what a good country england is/was.he would walk into any pub and talk to anyone,no aminosity at all,though he had times of adversity,he took it in his stride,if only more non english had his attitude,nowdays it seems like we are being invaded from inside this country,our values are no more, because i believe political corectness gone loony,i fear for our youngsters,no chance of council flat,few apprenticeships,cant get on housing ladder,kidsshould have a right to work via training etc,then its down to them,from my area they seem to want right to do what they want,

xclr8r 22:45 07 Mar 08

The members of the public who are causing this are supposedly British nationals, who are unhappy about our services fighting in "their" spiritual homes of Iraq and Afghanistan.
What I can't understand is if you took the uniforms off the service people who are suffering this abuse, and they abused these scum. There would be uproar. Ms Shami Chakribarti and her cronies would be howling from the roof tops.
There is nothing Great about Britain in my eyes anymore when the services can be abused in their own country by this scum.
Rant over!

Jim Thing 22:49 07 Mar 08

"I am old enough to remember when all service people in uniform got perks such as half price at the pictures and football grounds etc."

For several years after the war, many bus conductors in Liverpool wouldn't collect fares from matelots in uniform — and the inspectors never asked you to show your ticket.

WhiteTruckMan 23:01 07 Mar 08

when we too were cautioned not to wear uniform when off duty outside of camp. In fairness though, this was at a time of increasing tension over the deaths of the ira hunger strikers. As I recall, station alert status went from bikini black (normal peacetime) up one notch to bikini amber, just on the strength of it. (I'm probably courting FE's ire by lapsing into 'jargon', but what the heck). So the justification was a bit different than now.

I might add that we did a number of ceremonials on the streets of london, (all but one instantly forgettable) and never, ever, had any bother from the public. Carring SLR's (rifles, not cameras) might have had something to do with it, of course. The public weren't to know that we didnt have ammunition.

WTM

Totally-braindead 23:15 07 Mar 08

Its my hope that our armed forces will wear their uniforms with pride and if there is problems with anyone picking on them for wearing the uniform that swift and severe legal action will be taken on those that try to abuse our armed forces.

Personally I would like to see those that abuse the uniform be forced to wear some sort of ridiculous costume and for them to get the abuse when they go about.

Shame it would never happen as I'm sure the human rights people would get mad but the punishment would then fit the crime don't you think?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…