Spitfires!

onthelimit1 09:18 14 Apr 12

As a long-term fan of this aircraft, the possibility of another 20 flying gets my blood racing (it doesn't take much these days!)

BBC article

siouxah1 09:51 14 Apr 12

I was lucky enough to see sixteen flying together at Duxford a while ago. Wonderful! To see more would be better.

johndrew 10:15 14 Apr 12

Although I have an appreciation of the Spitfire, I have a greater respect for the Hurricane which served in greater numbers earlier in the conflict as Hawkers Board decided on an at risk build when trouble was brewing. This stockpile of aircraft were purchased and put into service very quickly whereas the Spitfire orders were relatively slow in coming.

Much of the aura surrounding the Spitfire appears to have developed from its wing plan and stories/comments from German pilots; there may also have been a level of commercial input by its manufacturers.

But then many older aircraft have a high level of following as a result of their history.

Quickbeam 11:39 14 Apr 12

If they're still waxed up from the factory, it sounds like they could be reassembled and flying pretty quickly.

onthelimit1 11:46 14 Apr 12

A telegraph article indicates a flying club has put up the half a million needed to recover them. The owner will be given one of the aircraft in payment. Pretty good deal, I'd say!

Agreed the Hurri was a fantastic fighter, and very robust, but is the ugly sister to the Spit in appearance (but those wonderful wings were not the easiest for mass production).

morddwyd 12:18 14 Apr 12

The Hurricane was like the Sergeant Pilots in the Battle.

Both present in greater numbers but it was the Spit, and the dashing young officers, who got all the publicity.

I was lucky enough to have served on a station flying Spitfires (Woodvale, mid 50s).

johndrew 16:44 14 Apr 12

The Hurricane was like the Sergeant Pilots in the Battle.

And don't forget the old saying," If a bomb has to hit the station let it be the Officers' Mess." After all it was (is?) those without Commissions that really ran and got (get?) things done!! :-)

Publicity is one thing, getting the job done another. But all ranks of Pilots put themselves to a similar risk regardless of which aircraft type they flew.

Aitchbee 18:39 14 Apr 12

'AIRFIX' could assist in the find & recovery mission... ( I won't mention International Rescue)...

http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/new-models-for-2011/aircraft/a02010-supermarine-spitfire-mki--mkkiia-a02010/?searchguid=2012414182939&resultspage=1&sortorder=

...but, are not the plastic aeroplane models now made-in-China?

wiz-king 08:02 15 Apr 12

I don't think Airfix could help, they don't have anyone to make the kits - they subcontract. grin

Miké 10:52 15 Apr 12

AitchBEE's International Rescue mention, obviously referencing Thunderbirds gives me a chance to shamelessly plug ;-) the organisation that my wife is an operational volunteer for International Rescue Committee

flycatcher1 19:42 15 Apr 12

An organisation at Enstone Airfield is constructing a squadron of scaled down Spitfires for Display purposes and personal use. They may be a bit unhappy if they are up-staged by a Squadron of real ones.

My late Brother-in-Law flew Spits just after the Battle of Britain. The unofficial test on passing the Operational Conversion Unit, I think that it was at Hawarden, was to fly under the Menai Suspension Bridge. Not for the faint hearted.

He ended up as a Forward Air Controller in Burma and would never buy anything Japanese.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac