Spellchecker Joke

Bingalau 13:52 16 Feb 09

Spelling Correction

Everyone knows I'm a stickler for good spelling. So, when an associate e-mailed technical documents asking me to "decifer" them, I had to set him straight. I wrote, "Decipher is spelled with a ph, not an f. In case you've forgotten, spell checker comes free with your Microsoft program."

A minute later, I got this reply, "Mine must be dephective."

wiz-king 14:33 16 Feb 09

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

BT 16:39 16 Feb 09

I used to work for a company called Amylum. The Word spellchecker insisted on Asylum - rather apt at the time!! ?

Chris the Ancient 16:52 16 Feb 09

Many years ago, I worked in a department where there was a Deputy Project Manager - usually referred to as DPM. The preferred spelling through the checker was "dim" If only that spell checker knew just how right it really was!

Chegs ®™ 17:31 16 Feb 09

wiz-kings poem reminds me of the MS Speech-to-text application that ships with Office.Even after hours of training,it still used two inplace of too,etc.

laurie53 20:45 16 Feb 09

One of the devices used to set off an explosion is called a fuze, as opposed to an electrical fuse.

In the days before spellcheckers, or even computers, a typist once altered about 200 instances in one of my reports from fuze to fuse.

She was not best pleased when she got about 200 instances of "stet" (leave as is)!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…