Speeding Policeman

Bingalau 18:30 25 Aug 06

Has anybody seen this item? How do they get away with it? I am also an advanced driver but wouldn't dream of familiarising myself with a new vehicle unless it was on a racing track or a private track of some sort. This was taken from a BBC newsletter I get every evening.

"Discharge for 159mph speeding Pc
A policeman is found guilty of driving dangerously at speeds of 159mph but has "suffered enough", a judge rules." ..Bingalau..

Colin 18:39 25 Aug 06

I'm not condoning his actions, but, as with most headlines, the truth is obscured. The car was not doing 159mph. That car is not capable of that speed. The indicator showing 159mph was not functioning correctly. He was doing in the region of 140mph. OK - that is extremely fast, but he is a trained Police driver and it was in the middle of the night with no other traffic around. You may be interested to know that Police also do pursuit training during the day, amongst normal traffic. Far more dangerous, I think, but the general public think that they are attending a real incident.

Forum Editor 18:39 25 Aug 06

is click here

I can well understand the need for Police drivers to familiarise themselves with fast vehicles, in preparation for the times when they might need to respond at speed, but.......

the familiarisation shouldn't be done on public roads, even if it is in the early hours of the morning. If this driver had been involved in an accident because a 'normal' road user wasn't expecting a car to be travelling at nearly 160 mph the consequences for both the other person and the Police driver would almost certainly have been fatal. This man acted irresponsibly, and has got away with it - the judge was wrong to gve him an absolute dischage.

Forum Editor 18:41 25 Aug 06

from the BBC website - it's not allowed (by them).

I've deleted the second thread in which you did so. My link is to the full story.

Forum Editor 19:06 25 Aug 06

Police pursuit training does indeed take place on public roads, but never during the morning and evening rush hurs, and never in town or city centre situations. There has been much concern about this over the years, and there have been many accidents - notably the death of a nurse near Addenbrookes hospital in 1996. She was killed when a police car, travelling at over 100 mph rounded a bend and piled into the back of her car, which was in a queue at roadworks. On that occasion the police driver was convicted of careless driving, banned for six months, and fined £750. At the time, he was pretending to be an escaping criminal in a simulated chase. I doubt he'll ever forget the incident.

The point of all that is to illustrate how the unexpected is never more than a couple of seconds away at such high speeds and on today's roads there are enough hazards without introducing an extra one in the shape of speeding police drivers practising amongst us. Airline pilots don't learn to handle passenger jet crises in real aircraft, with real passengers, they train on simulators. Police drivers could do the same thing, and then practice handling their cars on closed roads. If F1 racing drivers can learn to drive amongst other vehicles at 200 mph without going near a public road, so can police drivers.

johndere 19:08 25 Aug 06

Oh come on the poor bloke was getting used to driving a fast car, so how many civies have said this, but get banned then!

skeletal 19:18 25 Aug 06

Forum Editor: I know we don’t agree on some car/speeding issues, but on this occasion we are in total agreement!

I note in the reports to the case that defence witnesses said things along the lines of: I find no problem with his positioning and his speeding was done in the right places.

Well yes, but I believe I do that as well, but you can bet your boots that if I did 140-150 and got caught that this defence would not stack up. There should be the same law for everyone.

I think it was the late, great LJK Setright that suggested it took ten thousand miles before one really learned the handling characteristics of a car. This may be a bit of an exaggeration, but I would never drive so quickly in an unfamiliar car on the public road, even if I do class myself as a fast driver.

Skeletal

Forum Editor 19:32 25 Aug 06

"the poor bloke" as you call him, was driving at breakneck speed on a public highway. If something unexpected had happened - and at 140 mph it can happen in a split second, the poor bloke might have killed himself and other road users.

After the fatal accident I mentioned earlier The Police Complaints Authority said: "Such a dreadful accident must not happen again. Lessons must be learnt. Pursuit training can surely be conducted at lower speeds on public roads and driving skills taught off road".

Monument 19:35 25 Aug 06

I assume that you have never driven a in a high speed pursuit, if you had you would not make a statement such as

"If F1 racing drivers can learn to drive amongst other vehicles at 200 mph without going near a public road, so can police drivers"

F1 drivers do not have the problems of two way traffic, learners, idiots and the rest of the motoring public to contend with.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:05 25 Aug 06

The police can use private tracks for *ahem* high speed testing. The plod was talking utter cobblers when he tried to worm his way out and I notice that he seems to have escaped a ban......

'F1 drivers do not have the problems of two way traffic, learners, idiots and the rest of the motoring public to contend with'....utter rubbish. Plod would not be doing excessive speeds if there was a lot of traffic about. Apologists for this complete idiot are on rather shaky ground.

G

Colin 20:28 25 Aug 06

What this has unearthed is what the Police actually get up to. This chap was "found out". Contrary to what the FE says, I have witnessed pursuit training in built up areas and town centres - not during the morning or rush hour, but still when there is plenty of people and traffic about. As I said in my first post, no way do I condone it, but it does go on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…