Speeding up Firefox.

octal 13:19 14 Jan 08

This is not really a Helproom problem, that's why I posted here.

I'm not sure if it is my imagination but there seems a definite increase in speed on the web sites.

1. In Firefox address bar, type "about:config"

2. In the filter bar, type "ipv6".

3. Double click on the line "network.dns.disableIPv6" to set it from FALSE to TRUE.

4. Restart Firefox.

I know ipv6 will be the future, but until then I'm wondering if it's confusing Fireox looking for something that isn't there.

interzone55 13:23 14 Jan 08

You're probably right, if firefox is searching for IPv6 DNS entries it will slow things down if they can't be found.

I'm just wondering what will happen when IPv6 DNS servers are the norm, will you forget which entry needs changing back.

octal 13:28 14 Jan 08

"I'm just wondering what will happen when IPv6 DNS servers are the norm, will you forget which entry needs changing back."

I'll probably have a new machine by then :D

interzone55 13:31 14 Jan 08

That's a point...

sunny staines 13:40 14 Jan 08

the addon "fasterfox" will take care of these settings.

octal 13:53 14 Jan 08

"the addon "fasterfox" will take care of these settings."

Does it? Where? I've had a look through the settings and I can't see it to specifically disabling ipv6.

Si_L 15:29 14 Jan 08

Done it, but I haven't noticed a difference.

octal 15:57 14 Jan 08

I think it must be the internet working fast for me today, so put it down to imagination.

CurlyWhirly 17:47 14 Jan 08

I have recently started using FireTune

click here

Ever since tweaking my Firefox browser, I have noticed that I get a lot of "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." error messages.

I expect that it's happening because the server can't keep up with the traffic requested by the tweak and so it resets itself?

octal 19:13 14 Jan 08

Thanks for that CW, but I use Linux so I can't use FireTune.

I have found one tweak that really has speeded FF up.

Type about:config in the address bar and right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it " nglayout.initialpaint.delay " and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives.

This is probably not new, it has probably been mentioned on the forum before, but the search is not the best on the site. It would be interesting if this tweak is included in FireTune.

CurlyWhirly 19:42 14 Jan 08

octal, I forgot you were a Linux user!

Do you not get that error message?

Just curious.

Here is a screenshot:

click here

I get this when I go to click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…