Speed gun warning driver prosecution.

peter99co 19:19 04 Jan 11

Michael Thompson, 64, was pulled over by officers in Grimsby in July after warning several oncoming cars.

He was fined £175 after being found guilty of wilfully obstructing a police officer in the course of her duties.

click here

How many of us have done this? Not me, I hear you say.

Don't say anything that may be used as evidence:0)

WhiteTruckMan 19:38 04 Jan 11

to the police wanting safer roads. They are far more interested in collecting money in fines and ticking performance boxes that seeing people slow down.

I have nothing but contempt for this decision, and I sincerely hope it is overturned on appeal.

Presumably the £15 victims surcharge will go straight to the police coffers, they being the 'victims' of this 'crime'.

(Maybe in the old days he could have got away with a warning at the roadside if he had offered to buy a couple of tickets for the policemans ball. That doesnt work these days, as todays police force doesn't have any balls.)

WTM

OTT_B 19:46 04 Jan 11

I've got to say, I agree with the CPS for prosecuting.
If the police had picked a hazardous spot to be doing speed checks, with the risk of drivers braking erratically (which may presumably indicate they were speeding?), then he could just as easily reported his concerns to the police. It was not his decision to make, to warn other drivers of the 'hazard'.

justme 20:21 04 Jan 11

If this man is guilty then surely all the signs on the roadside warning of speed cameras and those signs which display your speed are equally guilty.

I assume that the gentleman did not actually interfere with the radar speed gun or interfere in any way with the police officer to prevent her from measuring the speed of the traffic.

This man was encouraging people to obey the law and not to speed. Apparently this is now a crime.

Noldi 20:25 04 Jan 11

Is this the biggest problem they have??. I would have thought a stern talking to would have been sufficed. Another normally law abiding citizen not feeling to happy with the police, just raising revenue and ticking boxes. I was on the receiving end of a minor number plate infringement on a new car I purchased recently and was fined £60 not given a chance to rectify it. I have driven 30 years plus without a ticket but now that record is gone. The lad down the end of our road they keep banning him but that don’t stop him driving maybe that is the way to go if you haven’t got a licence they can’t take it away.

Noldi

Bingalau 20:28 04 Jan 11

It's been an offence as long as I can remember, to warn other people of the presence of a police officer. I'm thinking of the days prior to speed cameras.

peter99co 20:30 04 Jan 11

If whilst driving I see a broken down car or obstruction on the opposite side of the road I often flash my headlights to warn others approaching. Only on the open road however but never in town.

Where I live the driver would turn round and chase you down if they though you were not showing "respect"

peter99co 20:31 04 Jan 11

The AA was formed to warn drivers about Police down the road. Wasn't it?

Forum Editor 20:31 04 Jan 11

to obey the law and not to speed."

No he wasn't, he was warning them to slow down to avoid being caught because they were speeding. The CPS rules applied - a prosecution was brought because a) it was deemed to be in the public interest, and b) there was a reasonable chance of a conviction.

Warning people about mobile speed guns is illegal, and is precisely the opposite of encouraging them to obey the law. In any case that wasn't this man's responsibility. He tried to wriggle by claiming he was concerned that people would brake suddenly, but you only have to think for a moment to see how silly that is. People who were obeying the law wouldn't have to brake suddenly.

Roadside signs are completely different - they are put there to act as reminders and deterrents, it's not a motorist's job to do the reminding.

Forum Editor 20:33 04 Jan 11

and chase you down if they though you were not showing "respect"

You have my sympathy.

justme 20:44 04 Jan 11

"No he wasn't, he was warning them to slow down to avoid being caught because they were speeding."

How do you, or the police, know that those cars were speeding?

If the police had evidence which would stand up in a court then they would not have needed to use a radar gun to check their speed.

I have often seen people flashing their lights at me to warn of a police speed trap even though I was within the speed limit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5