Speed cameras with extra powers

dagbladet 10:13 30 Sep 09

Most of the speed cameras round our way are sporting new signs which declare that the camera also monitors, Mobile phone use, seatbelt use and ...erm...something else, can't remember.

How do they do this?

I assume that it would need to be triggered initially by the car speeding, then if the picture records the driver with no seat belt and talking on a mobile, it's extra points and fine. However, no speeding, no picture regardless of the other stuff. Am I right?

Interested in all responses, though it's really the technical side that intrigues me as opposed to any moralistic stance. ie "If you don't speed you don't have to worry about it". If that makes sense.

bremner 10:29 30 Sep 09

Have a look here click here under the 'Concept digital DVD' hyperlink

dagbladet 10:37 30 Sep 09

bremner

Your link suggests that these would have top be monitored constantly by a human, the signs have appeared on dozens of permenant cameras in the area and outwardly at least, the cameras themselves appear to be the same as before. Of course it could just be the same box with upgraded technology inside.

Shortstop 10:46 30 Sep 09

Of course, it could be a 'reminder' to road users or, possibly, a legalese-type of thing along the lines you state in your initial posting - namely that as well as speeding you can be prosecuted on the basis of the picture for other law infringements. The warning on the camera then voids any defence that the camera is purely for speeding offences ......

BR

Paul

bremner 11:11 30 Sep 09

Whilst having instant playback I am sure it records, so someone could review the recordings at a later date and send NIP's / FPN's

Quickbeam 12:28 30 Sep 09

For all the trouble they're going to, it will soon be the easier option to have GPS limiting devices fitted.

interzone55 14:55 30 Sep 09

New new sign is possibly a result of a legal ruling that Manchester Council couldn't use it's battery of speeding cameras to monitor bus lane offences.

click here

AL47 18:27 30 Sep 09

For all the trouble they're going to, it will soon be the easier option to have GPS limiting devices fitted.

^ i desperately hope that never comes about

bremner 19:02 30 Sep 09

How will GPS help catching those using their mobiles or diving without seat belts?

Mr Mistoffelees 19:26 30 Sep 09

Have you ever tried diving with a seatbelt?

peter99co 21:48 30 Sep 09

It is said that statisics show more drivers drown in their cars than canoeists and should therefore wear lifejackets

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple