Spectacles and Computers

feb 15:17 02 Oct 08

Going on from this thread, click here

Which type of spectacles do people prefer for different tasks?

When viewing a PC Monitor, driving, watching TV or Reading, do you prefer vari-focals or reading glasses, or do you have a special pair for each activity?

DANZIG 16:00 02 Oct 08

Just the one pair of specs that suffices for everything although later in life I reckon I'm going to need varifocals.

ventanas 16:29 02 Oct 08

I use varifocals for everything. Took some getting used to at first I recall, but it's now been some years and am totally at home with them. Each new pair presents a fresh challenge for a few days though.

I also have a separate pair of sunglasses in varifocal.

Woolwell 16:45 02 Oct 08

Varificoal with photo-chromic lenses.

Legolas 18:05 02 Oct 08

The same as ventanas except I don't have sunglasses. I live in Scotland ;-)

peter99co 18:11 02 Oct 08

I am with ventanas in every word including Sunglass's.

birdface 18:23 02 Oct 08

Sorry to disagree.I use Varifocals and they are no good for the computer.You end up with a stiff neck and strained eyes.If you use the computer a lot.Just measure how far from the screen your eyes normally are.And get your eyes tested from that distance.It makes a big difference.Varifocals will do you for reading and distance.Now if you tend to read a book about the same distance away as your computer your normal glasses should suffice.

wee eddie 18:52 02 Oct 08

although I don't need specs for reading. I admit that the need to move ones head up and down a little to use the correct part of the lens causes a few days disorientation at first but I would not go back.

For the sun, I have polarised clip-overs from a Company, imaginatively, called Leader. They are so incredibly light that one hardly notices that they're there. The Optician that sold them to me had a little Black Box with about 80 different shapes and sizes in it, so my specs were matched exactly. The ones I bought have 4 tiny hooks which attach them to my specs @ 20 Guineas, the company also makes a design with a bar across the top which are slightly heavier.

laurie53 20:29 02 Oct 08

Agree with buteman.

Too much of a tendency o tilt the head back slightly, without even noticing.

Bad neck strain, headaches and eventually blurred vision.

feb 16:21 03 Oct 08

Thanks for the replies, I might give the varifocals a trial before buying.

What about contact lenses, does anyone prefer them?

I'm just trying to get an idea of which way I should go, as I'm at the stage where I'm going to need glasses all the time!

birdface 16:42 03 Oct 08

If I was a bit younger I would go for laser Eye Treatment.Never tried contact lenses so cannot comment on that.Try a few glasses at your local pub that might improve your sight or at least you will think it does.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017