Speak out: RSS the next big thing?

powerless 23:35 10 Aug 04

Not sure how long RSS has been with us but i've RSS'd and am loving it.

I no longer have to visit websites anymore i just get, well a message telling me of a "New Story" that has been newly added to a website.

A heading and a brief description of the story and a link to read more.

Well I do visit the websites but not as much.

The next big thing for the web or did it happen a while ago and i missed it?

Forum Editor 00:07 11 Aug 04

but that doesn't matter - you've discovered it now.

The first RSS was designed by Netscape years ago, and has since been superseded by all kinds of variants.

For those people who may be wondering what on earth we're on about, RSS is a format for the syndcication of website content - mainly in a news and news-related context. You download some free software which commonly displays a 'feed' window on your desktop. You select a feed topic or topics to follow and the RSS will go off and get you the latest content on the topic you've selected. Generally the RSS will just offer you a taster - you have to go to the site in question to get the full information.

Personally I don't use RSS feeds, except the BBC one, and that's on some of my clients' sites. I've always used Copernic for my research - one of the best-kept secrets in searching - although over the past couple of days I've been using Blinkx
click here and my early impressions are good.

powerless 00:17 15 Aug 04

I use click here 21 quid.

PCA + RSS = anytime soon?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…