SP2 and that little annoying red icon

spikeychris 22:23 13 Aug 04

in the taskbar. Well its there because its not happy with how you have your security setup. It doesn't like the fact that you have the firewall switched off or it thinks you don't have AV.

I've been having a play and if you type this into run..

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs it should get rid. If that fails then type this into run..

services.msc, scroll to security center (note the spelling) and click disable and stop.

christmascracker 22:27 13 Aug 04

I havn't got one!!

bvw in bristol 22:31 13 Aug 04

Nor me :)

Forum Editor 22:46 13 Aug 04

you shouldn't see any "annoying little red icon". What you should see, if you open the security centre in Control panel, is "You've told us you're running a firewall that you will monitor yourself".

Likewise, if you click on the Virus protection icon you should see something like: "AVG anti- virus 7.0.262 reports that it is up to date, and that virus scanning is on".

It's not necessary to go delving into services.msc or to type anything into 'run'.

spikeychris 09:37 14 Aug 04

Mine stays in the tray unless I disable it in services.

Forum Editor 09:44 14 Aug 04

You've disabled the firewall using the control panel firewall icon?

In the security centre ( I refuse to use 'center' unless quoting) what do you see when you click on the blue text "Change the way the security center alerts me" - are all three boxes ticked? If they are, untick them and see what happens.

spikeychris 10:27 14 Aug 04

Strange how things come around, against my better judgement, a couple of weeks ago I installed XP Pro Tweak 3 and ran virtually all the tweaks offered. This was just to see what it could do and it can do lots of things, like letting you create your own picture in the system icon in control panel (why would you want to? Don't know but it tickled me)

Now what it also offered was to configure clear type better than XP does so I tweaked that also. For the last week I have had a continuous head ache and wondered why, I have just reversed all the Pro Tweaks and the fonts look a million times more friendly (why I didn't notice before is beyond me) and the "annoying little red icon" has gone.

Chris, going to have breakfast. In-fact he might start with the egg on his face.

spikeychris 11:35 14 Aug 04

An annoyance I had earlier, having to disable and enable my WIFI card at every reboot is now a thing of the past also. mmmmmmm

Forum Editor 12:15 14 Aug 04

Doncha just love computers?

hugh-265156 15:12 14 Aug 04

ignore my waffle and see replies below to turn it off click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…