This sounds a bit Kafta-esque

interzone55 14:51 PM 30 Aug 12

In South Africa, 270 striking miners charged with the murder of 34 of their colleagues shot dead by police.

BBC Link

Aitchbee 15:19 PM 30 Aug 12

This man was also arrested [and murdered] by the South African police 35 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Biko..

I only know this because I am a fan of Peter Gabriel,the musician.

Aitchbee 15:24 PM 30 Aug 12

Let's try that link again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Biko

interzone55 15:27 PM 30 Aug 12

Aitchbee

Nail squarely hit on the head.

The leadership may have changed, but the same rules are being applied. Which is very sad that considering the hell that blacks went through under apartheid rule, the current leadership should be treating their own people in much the same way the white rulers did...

wiz-king 15:40 PM 30 Aug 12

Your use of a K word may cause heart attacks with South African readers - It may get confused with a slightly different K word.

A strange use of the law indeed.

wee eddie 15:49 PM 30 Aug 12

Try Sharpville. I was at school with the son of a Doctor that treated the victims. He had to hide for the rest of his life.

I can't remember the Name of SA's Security Service but they had put a price on his head. The new lot are little better, just black instead of white.

interzone55 15:57 PM 30 Aug 12

wee eddie

My Gran & Grandad lived in South Africa at the time of the Sharpville massacre - he was MD of a textile company at the time.

They upped sticks and moved back to England, partly due to the increasing violence, but mostly because they were being forced to either take South African citizenship, or become effectively 2nd class citizens...

interzone55 14:22 PM 31 Aug 12

Common sense may well have prevailed - BBC Link

Aitchbee 19:37 PM 31 Aug 12

...no officers have been charged...so who are left [to charge]?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Animated film of Raymond Briggs' Ethel and Ernest ramps up production

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…