SOPA INTERNET CENSORSHIP possibly.

rdave13 22:20 07 Jul 12
Answered

Just came upon this site. No date available but is this going to be the future? If the USA sneezes then we have a cold usually. Governments have a great deal to answer for, even in the west. Wasn't long ago that China was derided because of censorship.

rdave13 22:22 07 Jul 12

My apologies, should have included the link.

Aitchbee 22:47 07 Jul 12

The USA is a foreign government...they are aliens.I do not trust 'em.

Forum Editor 23:14 07 Jul 12

"The USA is a foreign government...they are aliens.I do not trust 'em."

The USA is a country.

Not trusting foreigners is a common human response - lots of people in America don't trust us.None of which has anything at all to do with the subject of this thread.

Aitchbee 23:30 07 Jul 12

This thread is about trust in the internet, and America rule the roost. If they can't be trusted then the whole of the internet will go 'pear-shaped'.

Forum Editor 23:35 07 Jul 12

"Governments have a great deal to answer for, even in the west. Wasn't long ago that China was derided because of censorship."

SOPA isn't about censorship, although plenty of people want to believe that it is. The proposal (it's being proposed in Ireland as well) is for a law that will enable the US government to block access to published material that infringes someone else's copyright. If a site provides free downloads of copyright-protected music files, for instance, access to it could be blocked.

The freedom of speech lobbyists would have us all believe that such a law is a breach of our human rights, because they are worried that a government could block access to web forums and social networking sites where individual users have infringed copyright. They envisage courts issuing sweeping injunctions that block access to entire domains like Facebook and Twitter. Sensible people realise that a government that permitted such actions, even if the law to do it was enacted, wouldn't last long, but conspiracy theorists aren't known for letting a little common-sense spoil a paranoia session.

Sleep easy - nobody is going to switch off the internet because you publish a copyright-protected photo on your Facebook page.

Forum Editor 23:36 07 Jul 12

"America rule the roost. If they can't be trusted then the whole of the internet will go 'pear-shaped'."

Total rubbish.

rdave13 00:09 08 Jul 12

Forum Editor of course your posting makes sense.

The proposal (it's being proposed in Ireland as well) is for a law that will enable the US government to block access to published material that infringes someone else's copyright. If a site provides free downloads of copyright-protected music files, for instance, access to it could be blocked.

Question is, how are these sites going to be policed? I don't illegally download anything so I don't expect my ISP to charge me more to make sure I don't. They will, though, and honest joe, here, will be paying for the dishonest pirate that will, whatever restrictions the ISP will enforce,find a way around it yet again. That is guaranteed.

The punishment will perhaps be a tiny bit more severe for Captain Pugwash but you wouldn't notice it.

This SOPA will only affect one type of people in our society and that is the Honest type. The ones not clever enough to know how to download illegal stuff.

As it is today.

Forum Editor 00:42 08 Jul 12

rdave13

"I don't illegally download anything so I don't expect my ISP to charge me more to make sure I don't. They will, though...."

Why will they?

rdave13 00:56 08 Jul 12

I assume that they will have to police their customers internet usage? Who else can do it?

If they have to police their customers usage then that will cost. Hasn't this been covered a while ago? I don't understand your reticence about how this could affect the normal user here.

Forum Editor 01:27 08 Jul 12

I assume that they will have to police their customers internet usage? Who else can do it?

Under the proposed legislation it will be up to copyright holders to make representations to a court. If a court decides that there has been an infringement it will have the power to block access to the site concerned. That would stop anyone from accessing the site.

SOPA is an evolving concept, and it isn't particularly helpful to jump to conclusions on the basis of reading one sensationalised account on a website - one that has dramatic graphs and charts based on nothing but a vivid imagination.

"I don't understand your reticence about how this could affect the normal user here."

Then you don't understand the facts about the proposals. I suggest you do some more reading.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…