Sony does it again

Forum Editor 14:43 11 Dec 05

I'm interested in comments on the story that Sony has again been installing software on its customers computers, simply because they try to play a protected CD. The software in question is MediaMax, and you can read about it here
click here

and here
click here

Sony has published a statement about it here

click here

As always, tell me if you don't want your real name to appear in print.

€dstowe 15:12 11 Dec 05

This is becoming beyond a farce and the biggest loser in it all is going to be Sony - who are losing the goodwill of their customers at a geometric rate.

I would object VERY strongly to having software installed on my machines without my knowledge or say-so and, in this respect, however benign Sony say their actions may be, is akin to the practices of the virus creators.

When all is said and done, no anti-piracy system is ever going to be foolproof and they can be overcome by anyone who has a CD player and a CD writer (computer or stand-alone) and you don't even have to risk infection by putting the CD in a computer.

powerless 15:29 11 Dec 05

Could this be the end of Sony?

PurplePenny 16:04 11 Dec 05

Whilst I understand why Sony are doing this, their methods are underhand. They are treating all their customers as criminals and they are using techniques similar to those employed by criminals. This is a sad indictment of our society.

DieSse 16:25 11 Dec 05

How to kill the goose that laid the golden egg .....

Chegs ®™ 18:04 11 Dec 05

Whatever Sony does,the pirates will find a way to circumvent it.These feeble attempts by Sony that result in PC's gaining loopholes through which a hacker can gain access,are going to do little but send prospective customers elsewhere.If they want to employ copyright protection,at least use a visible means instead of these secretive methods.With use of these present methods,an average PC users never going to know that their machines are open to exploitation unless Sony were to use a visible system.I do think its rather ironic that the system Sony were using was actually a rip off from someone elses code. click here As has already been pointed out,connect a domestic CD player to the line-in on the PC and off you go.

octal 18:04 11 Dec 05

Sony couldn't care less what people think. They are experimenting at the moment but it doesn't seem to be working. It won't stop them, If they can't protect their CD's then they will start looking at other ways, like embedding DRM protection into CPU chips which is the last thing anyone wants. Then Sony will be just one of the many big corporations who will have a say on what you can load your computer.

Don't forget, Sony are a big corporation who don't mind spending a bit of money on a few lawsuits and the loss of a few customers because their computers are messed up, so be it, it means nothing to them provided they get what they want in the end.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:11 11 Dec 05

Game publishers have found ways of protecting thier disks from copying without the underhand instalation of, at best dubiuos, software onto users computers. Surely Sony, with it's huge R&D resources, can find a way of doing this with music cd's.

Forum Editor 19:24 11 Dec 05

Many thanks.

Totally-braindead 21:29 11 Dec 05

I'm with the others here. I do understand why they are trying to prevent copying but it just isn't on to create something that installs on your computer without your knowledge regardless of the purpose. I must admit when I read the articles you gave the links to the thing that popped into my mind is this is the sort of thing that disreputable people do to give you a virus on dodgy websites. Surely there is some way of preventing copying that doesn't involve this type of action.

SG Atlantis® 21:49 11 Dec 05

they are as bad as the scourge that create viruses, trojans, spyware and adware. The only difference is they try to get you to download them or run them accidently, all sony require is you to play a cd that they own. When I say own I mean the copyright on the content on the disk, not the actual disk or your computer but they think they do.

The medimax software has the ability to dial home with info on your system and music play habits and serve ads based on this data. Absolutely shocking as well as the security vulnerabilities that they open your PC to. What's more you don't even get told this and they don't ask your permission nor do they freely and openly offer an effective uninstaller for the software.

They are disgusting and I will avoid their products, I am considering a new purchase of a hifi for the living room (waiting for January sales, hoping for a bargain), I won't be looking at any Sony models as a mark of my disgust at the company!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…