Some people bully themselves online

Forum Editor 19:43 04 Dec 13

My wife just drew my attention to something that I found fascinating - the habit some (mainly young)people develop of cyber-bulling themselves in forums and via social networks.

Human nature, with all its foibles, never ceases to intrigue me, and here is an aspect of it that didn't exist until recently, thanks entirely to the internet.

morddwyd 20:04 04 Dec 13

I might say to myself "Get a grip you daft old b*" but I don't think I'd go that far!

Aitchbee 20:16 04 Dec 13

I have personally decided not to interact with anybody [apart from PCA] who I do not know on the internet. Younger [more vulnerable] and perhaps more impressionable internet users are 'pressurized' into taking part in a virtual world of dangerous liasons with persons unknown.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:36 04 Dec 13

Given my own history, I find this a very worrying development.

johndrew 10:16 05 Dec 13

A cyber version of doing physical self harm from what I can see. However it is beyond my comprehension as to why anyone would do either.

spuds 11:00 05 Dec 13

I could be wrong, but I find that this "cyber-bullying" can actually lead to death or eventual self-harm for some?.

Proclaimer 11:11 05 Dec 13

**johndrew A cyber version of doing physical self harm from what I can see. However it is beyond my comprehension as to why anyone would do either.**

In much the same way that a person may take a drink to forget something, have a cigarette or start a fight in a pub because they are 'angry', self-harming is a way of 'short circuiting' the brain when bad thoughts overwhelm the mind.

The physical pain from cutting, for example, immediately gives the person something else to think about in the short term and it is a small relief from the thoughts doing the damage they do. The blood flow from multiple small cuts is also a perceived pressure release that I can only liken to deflating a balloon that looks over inflated. The perception being that the problem is bled out of the mind for that small period of time.

After a while of self harming the actual harming (cutting especially), becomes addictive. Again, much like alcohol, smoking or drugs the person can then become addicted to the actual cutting and may continue to cut just for the perceived pleasure. I can only reference the feeling of eating good chocolate here to give an idea of the feeling the harming can give after addiction sets in. The addiction can then lasts for the rest of the persons life although they may not self harm they are still adicts.

From personal experience.

johndrew 10:20 06 Dec 13

Proclaimer

You may well be correct in what you say about physical self abuse such as cutting, but it still provides me with no understanding of the mentality which leads to it.

Use of alcohol, tobacco, food/sweets and drugs are somewhat different as the immediacy of damage is removed and there is a pleasurable aspect. This, I feel, would not be present in either direct mental or physical abuse.

Perhaps the type of abuse mentioned in the primary subject matter (and even the cutting you mention) is some form of self punishment for some reason as I can see little deflection from misery or anger in either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…