Some more advice for mobile users

pavvi 22:59 24 Aug 05

A few more bits of advice for those of you with mobiles. These will be common-sense to most of you on this site, but I deal with people every day in my shop that don't follow them.

1. If you get a text offering you a free prize draw, do only one thing with it: delete it. Do NOT respond to it. Like spam emails, they are attempting to see if the number is active, and should you respond, you will be inundated.

2. No matter how 'tempting' it may seem to have the latest crazy frog dance tune on your mobile, don't sign up to monstermob, or jamster. It is a subscription service, and you will be reversed billed for all the services unless you can prove that you never requested it. I had a customer in the shop who had £60 a month going on his bill just from one supplier. None of the networks will exclude them from your bill. If you have signed up to anything, follow the instructions on the text when you signed up. They are getting sneaky now, and are changing the stop procedure. The 'stop' has to be STOP in capitals. Jamster has changed it's routine completely. Read the small print on their adverts.

Overall you are better off getting ringtones from your own network's wap sites, or from mobile retailers. Make one off purchases.

Also, watch out for rogue insurance companies. There are a number of insurance companies calling up O2 and voda customers offering them insurance over the phone. A lot of this has been happening to carphone warehouse managed customers. People have been conned by people ringing them and saying that they are calling about the phone they recently bought from carphone and want their bank details. I managed to stop someone from doing exactly this the other day.

If you do get a call from someone in this situation, ask them to call later on with your customer number. This is a number on your receipt and is unique to you. Only a Carphone Warehouse employee would have access to this number. Give out NO details unless you are quite sure that the person you are speaking to is from CPW. If they cannot give you the number, let your local branch know. CPW are aware of the companies doing this and are taking action against them. The companies manmage to just stay within the law, but it is very shady. The reason why they know the numbers is that people from these companies buy phones with numbers and try to ring numbers in the same sequence as CPW are given batches of numbers. We don't give these numbers out to someone who hasn't gone through a full credit check and is about to sign on the dotted line. I have had people ring me and ask me for numbers, I take their details and make their lead negative and let the rest of the company aware of the new lead.

If you do find yourself giving details get in touch with your bank immediately. The vast number of people contacted who say yes never receive any insurance documentation. This is against FSA regulations, but these companies are shutting themselves down and starting up as a new company. One of the companies is called Ace Insurance and is based in Swansea. Swansea Trading Standards are aware of them, but some of these companies while not acting within the code of practise aren't technically speaking breaking the law provided you give them permission to have your bank details. If in doubt call your local branch of CPW.

Hope this helps...

Kev.Ifty 01:34 25 Aug 05

Once again excellent advice.

Take care when mentioning a company by name though...

I am sure the companies referred to in your post are doing nothing illegal (cough) so people should just be aware of their (the company's) policies.

You are right to warn us. Even people that one would regard as 'intelligent', have been caught out by unwittingly singing up to unwanted subscription services.

Here is a link for others, to a body trying to curb the flow of telephone related "misbehaviour" click here

Cheers Kev

Kev.Ifty 01:35 25 Aug 05

Once again excellent advice.

Take care when mentioning a company by name though...

I am sure the companies referred to in your post are doing nothing illegal (cough) so people should just be aware of their (the company's) policies.

You are right to warn us. Even people that one would regard as 'intelligent', have been caught out by unwittingly singing up to unwanted subscription services.

Here is a link for others, to a body trying to curb the flow of telephone related "misbehaviour" click here

Cheers Kev

Kev.Ifty 01:37 25 Aug 05

Theres an echo in here ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…