Some good news

seedie 16:59 23 Nov 06

French National Assembly switches to Linux
Linux, OpenOffice and Firefox favoured

In news round-up if you go to this site with logging in.

If my memory serves me correctly a big organisation in Germany adopted Linux 2-3 years ago ?

CD

Forgive my ignorance - but why is it good news, i don't understand!

Totally-braindead 20:27 23 Nov 06

I presume seedie means its good news for Linux users.

seedie 17:22 24 Nov 06

It's good to see linux being accepted by large organisations and it's good also that MS may be losing their grip on the computer community.

Have to say tho' that I'm still using Windows :( because I tried mandrake and couldn't get "au fait" with it if sees wot i mean. I will have another go some other time.

Good luck

CD

WhiteTruckMan 22:31 24 Nov 06

but I suspect a significant part of the decision making process may have been political rather than technical or financial. But thats just a personal opinion.

WTM

Forum Editor 23:18 24 Nov 06

I share your view - this was a political decision.

As for "MS may be losing their grip on the computer community." I'm afraid that's a long way wide of the mark. A few thousand French national assembly staff switching to Linux is hardly going to make a dent in Microsoft's userbase.

The last set of statistics I saw (produced by a leading independent market analysis company) was published in 2002. At that time the Windows operating system had a global usage share of 97.46 percent. Apple came second with 1.43% and Linux trailed into third place with just 0.26% global useage.

It's important to realise the sheer size of the Windows userbase, compared to other operating systems. As I said, these figures were produced four years ago, and things will have changed since then. They won't have changed that much though, and although I would expect to see that the Linus share has increased over the past few years it will still only have a very tiny share of the total global userbase.

People simply prefer Windows. They're used to it, and - contrary to what detractors might want to believe - they feel comfortable with it. From time to time everyone (including me) indulges in a little moan about some aspect of Windows, but if we were going to migrate en masse to Linux we would have done it by now.

seedie 11:41 25 Nov 06

I see what you mean but I find it heartening that they're giving it a go.

Googling 'Linux in the European Union' is helpful.

anskyber 14:13 25 Nov 06

click here gives interesting statistics on things like OS system usage and browser usage. As for the French decision, they have an independence which occasionally appears to lead to bizarre political choices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos