A soggy freezer- what to do?

jack 08:37 22 Jul 09

Much talk after the 'Outage' of what to do about a 'soggy' freezer.
On the bus yesterday a neighbor said 'I am dumping it all' and claiming off insurance.

I thought to my self that un- opened packs of Veg. say or 'New' meats should refreeze OK and only be wary of cooked and part used packs.
What do you all think?
Many years ago doing 'temp' work- one the sites was a cold store distributing to the supermarkets.
It was common to see pallets of bulk cartons of items sitting around on the load bank waiting to be loaded on to trucks or placed to store, getting soggier by the minute.

oldbeefer2 08:43 22 Jul 09

I'd go for plan A - I've always understood that you should not refreeze thawed goods. The exception is if the thawed food is then cooked and then frozen - that is OK. Other alternative is to have a huge barbie and invite all the neighbours round to see it off!

Quickbeam 08:51 22 Jul 09

Things like joints & chickens can be cooked, sliced into servings with gravy and frozen in freezer bags as a ready serving.

Or if you have a dog, it's his lucky day...

OTT_Buzzard 08:52 22 Jul 09

As much as i hate to say it, you gotta throw the food out. Even the sealed bags will be festering inside by now.

wiz-king 09:31 22 Jul 09

My freezer is mostly used for the dogs food and for bread. They would still be chilled after 36 hours if not still frozen and so I would just carry on using them.
However if you have kept opening the door and it has defrosted completely then some things might just give problems. Ice cream wont refreeze - unless you have a jack hammer to get it out of the tub.(pun intended)

peter99co 10:39 22 Jul 09

As thing freeze they form ice crystals inside and this breaks the fibres within the food. Blast freezing prevents this but we do not have the means to do this. I would think a refreeze would make things worse.

Quickbeam 11:25 22 Jul 09

wiz-king's comment about still being chilled holds true. As long as the product is still obviously very cold, it's no different to putting a frozen product into an ordinary fridge for a day or two before finally cooking.

There's no need to panic dispose of anything until it smells putrid... and even then I'm sure someone would be prepared to use it in an incredibly spicy curry:)

oldbeefer2 11:49 22 Jul 09

But his question was whether to refreeze it or not.

wee eddie 12:31 22 Jul 09

have £250.00 Freezer Contents Cover.

What you do with the contents depends upon how thoroughly they have defrosted.

Tub Freezers can take up to 72 hours, without power, before they are fully defrosted. Those that are part of a Fridge, with a Door rather than a Lid, can defrost very quickly after you have opened the Door, if you don't close it immediately, but 6 to 12 hours would be a guide, with the Door closed.

What to do with the contents: It is important to know how long it has been "totally" defrosted.

Any protein with over 12 hours at Room Temperature should definitely be chucked.

Any protein with less than 6 hours at Room Temperature could be consumed in the next 24 hours, but should be cooked properly. Things like sliced meat and Cooked Poultry that are likely to be eaten cold should be chucked.

Any protein with the centre still very cold or frozen can be refrozen provided that you mark them and ensure that they are properly cooked and eaten hot shortly after they have been cooked.

Vegetables deteriorate badly when they are frozen for the second time. I would suggest marking the packets, refreezing and using them for Soup making later.

What it is all about. Bacteria can multiply (their numbers double every 22 minutes, or so, depending on temperature) once any protein has defrosted and they can survive freezing, but not proper cooking (a rolling boil for about 10 minutes should put pay to the little fellas)

So the best bet is to have a Mega Soup Making Session. Make the Soups as Concentrated as possible, by adding little or no water, and freeze in small containers. Plastic Bags are good but tend to stick together if not well separated during Freezing.

Mark everything that has defrosted items in it so that you know to reheat with care.

Grey Goo 22:57 22 Jul 09

Looks like a zillion gallons of Irish Stew made on a Primus stove.

jack 14:15 23 Jul 09

Find I have £50 excess- I doubt the contents to come to that so not persueing it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video