Software Blues

Steve 1812 22:17 12 Jun 07

After a zillion years of faithfully buying software and upgrades I have finally had enough.

After purchasing and using Registry Mechanic for a number of years, I turned my pc on this evening to be informed that my subscription had run out, and then the pc blue screened. Thought it was a fluke so rebooted my pc and you guessed it, message appeared and then pc blue screened again.

So booted into safe mode, disabled regMech, and then rebooted everything worked fine.

This is the first time in at least 5 years of using Registry Mechanic, that I have ever been asked me to renew my subscription, although about 12 months ago I upgraded to latest version.

It seems as if PC Tools have stuck in a wee bit of emotional blackmail, renew or we will blue-screen you.

Anyway it is the straw that has broken the camels back. I am resigning from the Microsoft club, and joining the world of free software - Linux, which can do everything I want it to do, cheaper, faster and more stable and you are not held to ransom every year by the software house, and also the software is not full of bloatware that runs in the background, doing who knows what, probably tracking your every fart.

Long live the people's choice.

TalYasis 22:26 12 Jun 07

Don't believe the PCTools vindictive bluescreen activity bit.

ashdav 23:49 12 Jun 07

Good for you.
You can do virtually everything you could under Windows and it's all free!

egapup 08:27 13 Jun 07

If it aint free I dont use it.

Steve 1812 23:20 13 Jun 07

I would just like to say thank you to Nibblerman and PC Tools for their quick responses.

I know PC Tools or any other company would not put anything in their software to intentional harm anyone's system and my comments were intended as "tongue in cheek", also I was a bit miffed that my pc had crashed twice with barely a mouse movement or keystroke, so please accept my apologies if i was a bit misleading.

Thank you all.

Regards

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…