Is software 32 bit specific?

jack 21:00 10 Aug 05

Or to put it anotherway around
If one has moved to 64 bit computing should all the old 32 bit software tranfer problem free- Paintshop Pro 8 for example simply will not load?

XP has refused to load- but 98SE loaded and runs fine. Office 2000 loads OK, in 98SE but but my Epson Scanner which ran fine in XP loaded and runs in 98SE but shows the big yellow ?in device manager.
So did I do the right thing?
should I have heeded my own so oft quoted advice and treered clear of any thing 'New'[ Last weeks technology will do fine!]

stalion 21:14 10 Aug 05

have a read click here

jack 13:50 11 Aug 05

Thank you for that on Stalion
A good read the poses more potential problems perhaps than solutions-
I'll keep this on file.
Now knowing anything at all about coding, makes me wonder if some whizz will come up with a patch[s] to make the bridge between 32bit and 64 bit sensitive software?

dave_and_confused 13:57 11 Aug 05

As far as i understand it most 32 software should work in a 64 bit environment.

However the same is not rue for drivers. I believe a lot of drivers will need to be replaced with 64 versions - hence the scanner not working...

You say you have moved to 64 bit computing? Do you mean the hardware - i run an AMD 64 3200+ and everything works fine - or have you switched to Windows 64 Edition?

Monument 14:07 11 Aug 05

AMD64 bit processors are totally 32 bit compatable. All 32 bit programs will run perfectly well on AMD64 bit machines.

It is a different position with Windows XP 64. There are serious shortages of 64 bit drivers and some 32 bit programs have problems - bizarrely MS Office 2003 being one.

jack 14:27 11 Aug 05

This is a system rebuilt with Athlone 3000 on a Winfast K8S board

I was not aware of XP64 -I take it it is a 64 bit version of XP- is this madatory for 64 computing or should existing XP run?

The scanner does work - but with the Yellow ? in device manager on 98SE

So if everything is tranferable - what else could be troubling Paint Shop Pro for example?
I am about to try Adobe Elements
and later my chums Photoshop 7 -just to see what that can do.

Meanwhile my 'HardBox' USB HDD has not found its way into the system not withstanding downloading the driver. But I have found others to try-
So will keep in touch.

Monument 14:59 11 Aug 05

"I was not aware of XP64 -I take it it is a 64 bit version of XP- is this madatory for 64 computing or should existing XP run?"

Asaid all 32 bit programs will run on AMD64. So there is no problem with W9x or XP

dave_and_confused 18:59 12 Aug 05

"I was not aware of XP64 -I take it it is a 64 bit version of XP- is this madatory for 64 computing or should existing XP run? "

Yes it is a 64 bit versoin of XP.

The 32 bit version works on the 64 bit processors (i have Win XP Pro on a AMD 64 3200) but the 64 bit Win XP won't work on 32 bit processors.

jack 20:05 12 Aug 05

As above I tried to load Photoshop Elements 2
that came with the scanner. It went through the motions, but faded away with no sign of the program anywhere

Photoshop 7 however loaded complete and runs fine.!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…