So you thought you knew CPR?

WhiteTruckMan 00:13 12 Sep 07

click here

This certainly surprised me. From the looks of things it has surprised health professionals as well. It flies in the face of all the first aid training I have recieved over the years, and all the sessions with those resucitation dolls. And the 3 times I have performed it for real, with sucess only once. makes me wonder about possible outcomes if I did things differently (no, I dont dwell on it-much).

WTM

Strawballs 00:24 12 Sep 07

2 breaths after every 30 compressions is what I was told when I did my training about a year ago and you do the compressions first.

Chegs ®™ 08:01 12 Sep 07

analyzed the outcomes of 4,068 cases of witnessed collapse of adults in the Kanto area in Japan.

I wouldn't have thought that many japanese would suffer a heart attack as their diets are so much better than ours.

"It is also very interesting to find how a sizeable group of laypeople, by spontaneously performing a technique that has neither been taught nor formally endorsed, achieved better outcomes than with a technique that has been advocated and taught at a cost of millions of dollars and millions of man-hours."

So,they're saying if you suffer a heart attack your better off hoping some untrained "Andy Capp's mate" finds you before a paramedic? I wonder.

v1asco 08:47 12 Sep 07

We were told if we didn't crack a rib or two then it's not being done right. A close of friend of mine died of a heart attack and at his autopsy he was found to have cracked ribs do to reviving attempts.

Spark6 10:33 12 Sep 07

I hope the paramedic that reaches me before Andy's mate has read the article in WTM's link.

Curio 17:25 12 Sep 07

The attached may be of interest to those worried about heart problems.
click here

Pineman100 18:43 12 Sep 07

One of the experts is quoted as saying

"...the survival rate is higher even when the blood has less oxygen content, but is moved through the body by continuous chest compressions, than when the blood contains a lot of oxygen but is not circulated well because chest compressions are interrupted for mouth-to-mouth ventilations"

Could that suggest that two-person CPR might the best method of all? One to carry out incessant mouth-to-mouth and the other to do incessant chest compressions?

DrScott 20:39 12 Sep 07

but one of the least successful medical interventions we have is CPR. Furthermore, whilst survival is low (as low as 1% for in hospital unwitnessed cardiac arrest, and as high as 30% if a defibrillator is appropriately used), the quality of the survival is very variable. Many, if not most, will not leave hospital.

The evidence base behind CPR is also very poor, and much is educated guess work. However, given the difficulties in trying to find evidence for CPR, it is as good as could probably be expected.

To be honest, the only people who I've seen survive cardiac arrests are the ones already intubated receiving lots of oxygen (such as in theatres), or arrest whilst being in a monitored environment such as CCU or A&E.

I'm not convinced mouth to mouth does much good at all as it's pushing in less oxygen than exists in the air anyway, and it does delay chest compressions. The new guidelines have taken this into account (the ratio is 30:2 now).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced