So you still say Britain is British ?

Dragon_Heart 16:31 26 Sep 15

On another thread I said basically the British culture was being eroded by the influx of migrants, some disagreed or 'corrected' my statement.

Well here is another prime example !

I also recall a local council asking residents NOT to display England flags outside or in windows so as to not upset 'others' ?

I feel I must state at this point I am prejudice against certain individuals but NOT as a result of race, colour or creed.

john bunyan 16:45 26 Sep 15

This would never be tolerated in the USA, where "veterans" etc are given high kudos and even priority in hospitals and so on. Anyone there who objected to this man's presence should have been removed by security immediately. (Of course, service personnel must, themselves, not misbehave in A & E).

bremner 16:46 26 Sep 15

Please tell me where in the article there is any mention of migrants in the article you have linked to?

Gordon Freeman 16:51 26 Sep 15

I don't recall the earler thread which you mention, but I think British culture is a little like the English language; ever evolving. Culture today is different from what I remember as a youngster, & I would say in many ways better as a result of how diverse we've become.

However, relating to the example which you linked to, I'm not at all sure the hospital made the right decision there, & the rationale for making the decision appears to be a little weak, to my mind.

Dragon_Heart 16:56 26 Sep 15

"Please tell me where in the article there is any mention of migrants in the article you have linked to ?"

It does not, but it does claim "His family was allegedly told by hospital workers that "they didn't want to upset people" and "have lots of different cultures coming in"."

Suggest you re read my first paragraph :-)

"different cultures" perhaps your definition of the phrase is mot mine ?

bremner 17:00 26 Sep 15

Culture as Gordon F has said is an ever evolving thing.

You have chosen to link culture with migrants for pretty obvious reasons.

Dragon_Heart 17:05 26 Sep 15

"Culture today is different from what I remember as a youngster, & I would say in many ways better as a result of how diverse we've become" I have to agree 100% GF, we have become more tolerant and understanding of people we perceive as 'different' but when the 'boots on the other foot' it sometimes appears they, whoever they may be, are not so tolerant and understanding.

Many migrants feel a strong need to maintain their religious & personal beliefs, which I applaud ( keeping your own cultural identity is an important aspect of anyone's life ) but when two or more cultures mix in a public space you and they must be prepared to meet each other half way.

Dragon_Heart 17:13 26 Sep 15

"You have chosen to link culture with migrants for pretty obvious reasons" and you appear to have jumped to the wrong conclusion yet again.

Culture is an ever evolving thing but do you feel 100% comfortable with the way it appears to be evolving ?

The important question we should be asking is how is this type of thing prevented in the future.

bremner 17:20 26 Sep 15

It is your linking of culture to migrants in relation to this specific story that is the point. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck....

Gordon Freeman 17:20 26 Sep 15

OK, I get your point.

But what seems to have happened in our society, in order to remain so called 'politically correct', is that certain institutions (maybe more public sector organisations such as councils, NHS, et al) are, in cases such as this, second guessing what other cultures will/would find acceptable/unacceptable, and then making changes based on that.

In reality, some other cultures just might not give a monkey's about (using your example) a person wearing uniform in A&E, but the institution in question have made an assumption (based on one experience which they cite) and made a decision based on that, as opposed to using common sense. The result is it's caused offence in another quarter & the press have picked-up on it, & rightly so.

I'm not sure it's a case of 'meeting each other half way'; surely it's just a case of applying common sense, isn't it?

oresome 17:35 26 Sep 15

Posters are referring to 'the hospital' and 'the institution', but I see no evidence that this an official policy.

Rather one or more individuals applying what they perceived at the time to be common sense following an earlier altercation.

Decisions taken on the hoof in a busy environment often don't stand up to scrutiny on reflection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…