So whats in a name anyway

Cymro. 11:43 16 Jan 11

Do you like the name you were given?
The name we are given by our parents is one of the first things in life we have no control over. Unless we get it changed by deed poll we have to put up with it like it or not.

What name would you have liked to have been given?
Have you or would you ever consider changing the name you are known by?
If so then what new name would you choose?

click here

Cymro. 11:49 16 Jan 11

I suppose I should have included the names we give to our children in this.
My daughter has never complained but my son has. He lives and works in England and says that no one can pronounce his name properly. I just tell him to see a solicitor and get it changed if it bothers him that much.

sunnystaines 11:56 16 Jan 11

happy with david

Bingalau 12:03 16 Jan 11

The old Christian names are the best. Some people give should be ashamed of the names they give to their children these days. So called celebrities seem to be the worst offenders. Now nick-names are entirely different and some are wonderful.

Blackhat 12:25 16 Jan 11

Aged 13 I decided that I was not happy with my given name due to bullying. I asked all my friends to start using a different name and by about age 15 all my friends, school teachers and even my parents were calling me by my chosen name.

I kept my new name until I was 20 years old, due to employment & other things my given name had to be used and I needed to avoid confusion.

I still have friends from my teens (few and far between) who still call me by my chosen name as they never new me by my given name. Both names begin with the same letter so signing things was OK.

Cymro. 12:32 16 Jan 11

There is a family that lives in my hometown that go by the nick-name of "Coconut". One day a very junior member of the family was seen crying in the school playground. The teacher asked him why he was crying. He answered that "he did not mind being called Coconut but that Bounty Bar was going too far".

It is a true story and shows the sense of humor of that part of the country and the way it extended even to the children. Yes indeed Bingalau nick-names are wonderful.

wolfie3000 12:52 16 Jan 11

Religion and names of people have always had close connections, the UK has until recently benn a very christian country so there were alot of Mathews, lukes, johns and so on, (although not surprisingly no Judas's)

Take the middle eastern countries, and the Mohammad's, or the more jewish countries and how many Kaleb's and Ishmael's there are.

But nowadays the UK is more secular so we will see many more exotic names becoming popular.

its funny though some perfectly normal names will never be used again due to past events in history, how many Adolfs do you see now.

As for my own name im happy enough with it.

Forum Editor 15:35 16 Jan 11

and get it changed"

You don't have to see a solicitor for that - you just tell your friends that from now on you wish to be known as (whatever you choose), and that's it.

Lots of people think there's a legal requirement for a deed poll, but that's not the case. If you want to apply for a passport in your new name you'll need some supporting evidence, and that's when a deed poll can be helpful. Other acceptable evidence is a letter addressed to you in your new name from a responsible person(GP,solicitor,priest or MP), or a public announcement in a newspaper.

Letters should state that the writer has known you by your old name, and now knows you by your new name, and that the name change is permanent, to be used for all purposes.

Lots of people do it - probably more than you think. I know someone who did it.

Blackhat 17:41 16 Jan 11

We had an incident about 15 years ago with immigration.

We married in the Caribbean and forgot to change Mrs B’s name on her passport on return, a year later we both flew out to New York for a sales meeting in a party of 190, and going out from Heathrow we were running late and went through at speed. On return at JFK airport Mrs B was referred to immigration as the name on the flight ticket was her married name but her maiden name on the passport.

We were told that we would need to contact the embassy and it would take a few days to sort out. This was a company paid for trip and we did not have much money of our own with us.

Fortunately the flight organiser was at hand and between us we negotiated our way through but it took about 2 hours. (Sales people are good at negotiations). It was a bit scary at the time.

Chegs ®™ 18:33 16 Jan 11

I used my middle name at secondary school to deflect the skits about my first name.

morddwyd 19:02 16 Jan 11

When my son was born we just gave him one name, and always let him know that he should choose his own other name(s).

When he was about thirteen or fourteen he decided on one, and that's what he's been known by for the past thirty years or so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…