So called Boris bikes or the like thereof.

bumpkin 19:33 25 Sep 15

Our local Council has launched a similar scheme with loads of bikes attached to railings in a nearby shopping square. Never having used one I would like to know how the system works. for example do you have to pay up front and get a release code and presumable prove who you are. I have no idea how it works but would be interested to hear from anyone that has tried it or knows the system.

Quickbeam 20:24 25 Sep 15

A pair of bolt croppers usually does the trick for the youth of today when temped by a bike chained to the railings...

wee eddie 20:38 25 Sep 15

Walk towards the Bike Rack and read the instructions.

Each Council that sets up such a scheme will, very likely, have different T&Cs

bumpkin 21:57 25 Sep 15

wee eddie, the TFL site explains very well how it works but to me it is far from foolproof. I have no intention of stealing one, doubt I could ride it anyway but for what their intended use is I would have thought that they need to be top quality bikes.

Dragon_Heart 03:33 26 Sep 15

"top quality bikes" it does not look like it

click here all appear to be mobile adverts for the banks. Part of frame looks pressed not tube. Non of the 'parking' stations appear to be undercover so if it's been raining you'll start off with a damp bum.

What do you do about lifting / lowering seat etc ?

It looks like you could just unbolt the front wheel and take the rest away, and who pays for the damage, the last user ?

It's a bit like an honesty box system but .....

They

bumpkin 14:59 26 Sep 15

Now I know how it works I suppose it is not a bad idea in principal although I have never seen anyone using one in my locality.

spuds 15:30 26 Sep 15

Who wants to ride a bike, when there's two or more inches of snow about. I suppose someone might be brave enough.

bumpkin 15:49 26 Sep 15

"Who wants to ride a bike, when there's two or more inches of snow about."

Lycra louts but they wont be on Boris bikes:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…