Snow and

rdave13 17:10 17 Dec 10
Answered

roof damage. We've had an exceptional amount of snow today. I'm judging that I have at least 40 cm thickness of the stuff on the roof. More is forecast tomorrow.
Would it be wise to open the loft hatch tonight and let some heat up to help remove it?
It's a slate roof and have read that heavy snow can cause damage when thawing.

rdave13 17:11 17 Dec 10

Should have posted in speakers corner; apologies.

woodchip 17:50 17 Dec 10

Not to worry, the roof can take that

woodchip 17:51 17 Dec 10

When its a Flat Roof, or shallow pitch that's the time to worry

rdave13 18:06 17 Dec 10

Thanks woodchip. What worries me is that it's going to freeze tonight and we're expecting more heavy snow tomorrow. When it freezes it compacts then more snow builds up etc. When it eventually thaws then that is the time damage can occur. Wondering if it's worth spending a bit on heating rather than having to pay for roof repair? Or am I just over reacting?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:12 17 Dec 10

"am I just over reacting?"

yes

This snow stuff happens regular in some places :0)
It won't compact enough to cause damage.

rdave13 18:21 17 Dec 10

Fruit Bat /\0/\ and woodchip many thanks for your advice. This 40cm fall in one day is a lot of snow and it's still snowing. If it doesn't freeze tonight it looks as if it will snow all night and tomorrow.
I think I'll save some pennies on heating then....
gulp.
Have a Merry Christmas and thanks again.

Forum Editor 18:37 17 Dec 10

from the Helproom.

Forum Editor 18:47 17 Dec 10

with snow loading in mind, and yours will be able to cope with the weight - that's not the problem.

What you'll need to watch out for is when the thaw starts. Melt water can get between the snow and the roof, and the accumulated snow can slip quite suddenly. Not a problem if it happens at night, or when nobody's around, but not funny if anyone is below. Even worse is when there's a conservatory, or a flat roofed extension below a pitched roof - half a ton of snow being dumped onto these structures from a height can be a real test for the roof below.

I'm sure all will be OK, so don't have a sleepless night worrying about it.

karmgord 18:55 17 Dec 10

Don't be standing underneath when it starts to thaw!

rdave13 19:04 17 Dec 10

Forum Editor. Thanks for the reply. I wasn't particularly worried about the weight, although ,this comes to the equation. It's the thawing out. Underneath the top layer ice forms then wedges between the slates. Sudden movement of sliding heavy snow can then rip a few slates off with it surely? That and the worry if someone is close by when the inevitable avalanche occurs.
The question is, is it worth me trying to get rid of some of this snow now, using a bit of heating, or keep letting it still build up and, possibly, causing more damage later on?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…