Smoking Ban in Spain & Roadworks

dth 12:45 27 Aug 09

Maybe it is my age but what is wrong with this country?

Just come back from holiday in Spain. There they don't have a Government smoking ban in pubs, so there tends to be a mix of smoking and non-smoking pubs. What an easy sensible solution.

Driving home from work (I work in a city centre) at 5.30 yesterday there were 5 different sets of roadworks (over a 3 mile journey). And how many people working at the roadworks - of course not one. Last year when I went on holiday to Singapore it was amazing - as they carry out the roadworks at night so as not to disturb the traffic.

Maybe it is just me and I shouldn't go on holiday abroad again and see how much better they deal with things than we do in the UK.

Quickbeam 12:47 27 Aug 09

Try driving in the early hours, you'll be surprised how much road repairing gets done on major roads at night.

Chegs ®™ 12:58 27 Aug 09

We're due an "upto 5 week" closure of one of the primary routes into town,and this closure will be during the day.It was mentioned in the local paper the reasons it will not be done through night is a)disturbance to residents,and b)paying the wages of construction workers for night-time would make the costs increase significantly.

"There they don't have a Government smoking ban in pubs, so there tends to be a mix of smoking and non-smoking pubs. What an easy sensible solution."

I agree,but when was the last time a UK government did anything sensible?

Cymro. 13:16 27 Aug 09

Another load of postings slagging of the UK. I wonder why it is that these people who never miss out on a chance to criticise this country don`t just emigrate somewhere else to live.

Yes I do know that there are things that could be done better than they are now, but all in all the UK is still among one of the best countries in the world to live in.

As I have said before on the forum, I don`t think the people of other countries think so little of their own country that all they ever do is find something or other to complain about it.

What about a bit of national pride for a change. We may not be the country we used to be but there is still a lot to be proud of in the UK.

Colin 13:44 27 Aug 09

The "Everywhere else is Utopia and the UK is Hell" brigade tend to base their opinions one trip to a country – usually a holiday. I agree with Cymro, everywhere has its good and bad points, but overall, I’d rather live in the UK than abroad.

lofty29 15:46 27 Aug 09

I will agree that there a lot of thing wrong with other countries that we do not notice, but as far as the road works go, what bugs me is long distances being coned off and seeing two men and a dog working on the site.

Kevscar1 16:13 27 Aug 09

But Spain has banned the selling of cigarettes from all places except Tobacco Shops and vending machines in bars. had to walk about a mile to get some last time out there.

Grey Goo 16:24 27 Aug 09

They don't complain they just come here instead, the UK is "abroad" these days. Just made the 61 million headcount.

spuds 16:30 27 Aug 09

I recall in the 1960's when places like Singapore use to have combined discussions with all the utility services when any significant roadworks were in place. None of this dig a road up, fill it in, then dig it up again, which seems to be the regular method used in the UK and similar countries.

We had a major 6 month gas pipe refurbment project in our area, which as just been completed. Last week the water company contractors where marking out certain areas for some major type of pre-programmed work in replacing the water mains. So its back to further disruptions and inconveniences for the next few months, by the look of things!.

Only the other week, the water company contractors dug a rather large hole opposite my home on a Friday morning. Safety barriers were put in place (which ended up in the hole!), then vanished till the following Tuesday when we were told that we might not have a water supply for part of the day, a little work (4 hours) was done to a stop valve replacement. Workers left, then returned on Friday morning to fill the hole in.Job completed!.

Chegs ®™ 23:48 27 Aug 09

Another load of postings slagging of the UK. I wonder why it is that these people who never miss out on a chance to criticise this country don`t just emigrate somewhere else to live.

I would love to emigrate,but due primarily to lack of funds I cannot.

Also,where did I slag off the UK? I simply pointed out that the reasons given for the lengthy road closure.

I admit,I did intimate that the government are a bunch of idiots without a sensible thought amongst them.A total ban on smoking instead of segregating the smokers/non-smokers,a hunting ban that cannot be policed and did nothing to reduce the numbers of foxes killed,etc.

zzzz999 05:55 28 Aug 09

Just come back from holiday in Spain. There they don't have a Government smoking ban in pubs, so there tends to be a mix of smoking and non-smoking pubs. What an easy sensible solution.

I wonder how the bar staff working in the smoking pubs feel about that. The easy sensible solution is do your smoking outside and stick to killing yourself please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…