The Smoking Ban...

Quickbeam 11:19 01 Jul 07

is now with us... Hurrah I say, I won't stink now when I go come home.

Speaking to several landlords, my own very casual straw poll, suggests maybe a quarter of publicans would like to have been able to stop smoking on their premises previously, but the commercial risk made it out of the question to implement such a strategy.

Cymro. 11:22 01 Jul 07

If a pub is so grotty that it would go out of business without smokers then it can`t be much of a pub in the first place. The good bubs will survive just as they have survived other crises such as the coming of television etc.

g0nvs 11:23 01 Jul 07

A lot of smokers will now buy cheap drinks from their local supermarket and drink (and smoke) at home.
A lot of pubs have built outdoor smoking shelters because they are afraid of losing a lot of trade.

Cymro. 11:25 01 Jul 07

I dare say the freedom to do anything and everything crowd will soon be on to this one. But let them just remember that I want the freedom to breath good clean fresh air.

georgemac © 11:42 01 Jul 07

I was down South this week and spent 3 nights in various pubs/hotels during the evening

It was horrible after being used to the smoke ban up here for over a year, and my smoker colleagues almost still tended to head outside for a smoke - this is now their normal behaviour

spuds 11:49 01 Jul 07

Our local council have already made it known, that their enforcement officers will be visiting pubs, clubs etc in force from tomorrow, making sure that everyone complies.

Pity our local council cannot put as much effort into emptying household waste bins, as they appear to want to fine people on the spot for an ever increasing style, for any offence committed by the public.

Cymro. 11:58 01 Jul 07

It was not your local council that bought in the smoking ban but Westminster. The local councils had no choice in the matter.

Ranger 12:07 01 Jul 07

Cymro that's nonsense, it would have been suicidal for a pub to go it alone with a smoking ban, no matter how good the pub was the smokers wouldn't have been allowedin it, in turn the non smokers who had friends that smoked would have gone to the pubs without the smoking ban, most non smokers were pretty obliging when it came to people smoking.

Forum Editor 12:13 01 Jul 07

is overwhelming. I don't see many problems arising, and those that do will be storms in teacups.

Smoking in public places has long been socially unacceptable, and finally our society has decided to do something about it.

Cymro. 12:21 01 Jul 07

You say
"it would have been suicidal for a pub to go it alone with a smoking ban".
As the new regulations ably to all pubs there will not be any non smoking pubs. So I don`t see your point.

Ranger 12:26 01 Jul 07

Sorry Cymro I should have maybe put your post on it

"If a pub is so grotty that it would go out of business without smokers then it can`t be much of a pub in the first place"

I took from that that you were meaning, that if a pub brought in a smoking ban ie without the blanket ban that is now on, even if it were a good pub then it would survive.

apologies if I picked you up wrong

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…