Smile: Friday is the happiest day of the year, apparently.

Chronos the 2nd 06:05 AM 21 Jun 13

What a load of tosh.

Have these scientists not not better things to do with their time?

Quickbeam 07:43 AM 21 Jun 13

No more than you it would seem...

Forum Editor 08:07 AM 21 Jun 13

"What a load of tosh."

Actually, it makes some sense to me. People feel happier when the weather is good,and they can get out of the house. Add in some other positive things - like Wimbledon, for instance - and I can see how a general feeling of well-being can be created.

Quickbeam 08:13 AM 21 Jun 13

Didn't we all know that anyway FE?

Pine Man 08:31 AM 21 Jun 13

As Chris Evans used to say "TFI Friday".

...and I agree.

fourm member 08:45 AM 21 Jun 13

Don't call them scientists.

This sort of tosh is what makes people cynical about proper science.

The key line is, of course;

'He came up with the formula after carrying out research for ice cream makers Wall's.'

This is a PR stunt and has absolutely nothing to do with science.

And it matters. There are people who still refuse to get their children vaccinated and still think homeopathy is a good way to 'treat' cancer and a lot of that is because they say scientists don't know what they are talking about.

Arnall's own website makes no claim that he is Dr Arnall and the list of qualifications he gives don't include any that would carry that title.

For people who care about science there is nothing to smile about when this sort of total hairless mole droppings gets published.

Chronos the 2nd 08:46 AM 21 Jun 13

Well it makes sense to the FE so it must be good science.

john bunyan 09:15 AM 21 Jun 13

fourm member

I never thought someone would say this, but welcome back - your postings have been missed by some!!!

I would welcome your input in Flak999's posts on Syria, etc.

As to happy days, although I was pleased for the Queen and the Gold cup win, I was uncomfortable about Ascot - the ridiculous top hats and general air of people with no proper jobs and too much money. I must be getting to be even more of a Victor Meldrew than before.

john bunyan 09:21 AM 21 Jun 13

More on the guru concerned:Blue Monday - January

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:22 AM 21 Jun 13

Well it is pay day (pension day) so that makes me feel happier :0)

spuds 11:55 AM 21 Jun 13

I notice the opening paragraph in the linked article "After a bitterly cold spring and months of economic gloom it appears that Britons are finally feeling some summer optimism".

Perhaps the scientist or scientist's who indicated that, might think so, at no doubt great financial public expense to come up with that. But in my neck of the woods, its still gloom and doom with overcast skies and rain showers. And television and other media reports don't seem to help much!.

And as for the big sway to Wimbledon, then I suppose it all depends if you like tennis, Bollinger, strawberries and cream?.

Went to Argos the other week and purchased a couple of hammocks for a leisurely sleep in the garden. So far its been a few attempts of assembly, then back to the box and storage, possibly final use and assembly for later on or next year?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11