Smart meters - should I get one or not?

Yimbo 23:45 08 Feb 16
Answered

My electricity supplier has sent me a note about installing a smart meter (free of charge). I don't know all that much about them, so I'd appreciate your opinion re the pros and cons. Should I just leave well alone?

lotvic 00:04 09 Feb 16

You might as well have one, they're putting them in all by 2020 click here A smart meter is a new kind of gas and electricity meter that can digitally send meter readings to your energy supplier. This can ensure more accurate energy bills. Smart meters also come with monitors, so you can better understand your energy usage.

>

beeuuem 00:27 09 Feb 16

Currently there is no legal obligation to have a smart meter now or in the future. Be aware that if you have a smart meter fitted and you subsequently change provider you may well have to have another smart meter installed. I shall refuse if ever asked as there is no direct advantage to the consumer. This click here indicates some of the cons.

Govan1x 09:44 09 Feb 16

It is a meter that can digitally send meter readings to your energy supplier.

Now that's true but it does not stop the man coming to read the meter so you have to wonder why they want to install them.

Old Deuteronomy 10:04 09 Feb 16

Now that's true but it does not stop the man coming to read the meter so you have to wonder why they want to install them.

The government wants smart meters installed because they seem to believe we will all use less power if we have them and can see how much power we are using. Oddly enough I can see how much power we use without a smart meter.

Yimbo 10:11 09 Feb 16

Thanks folks! Your comments and information are really helpful. Just what I needed.

RV510 10:40 09 Feb 16
Answer

It is a legal requirement for the meter, smart or not, to be read by your supplier at least twice a year. As for having a smart meter fitted it is a good thing in that they are simple to read and to supply your own reading to your supplier online, in taking your own readings and keeping a record you know what you are using and your Bills should show the same. Now for the downside, they don't always work in sending a signal back to the provider, if the signal fails you will see 'estimated' on your Bill. If anyone is having a smart meter fitted, which is carried out by an independent Company, make sure that they and YOU take the final reading from your old meter and make a record of it, also record the date and time it is fitted and record the serial number of the meter making sure that it is the same that appears on your Bill. As for changing the meter if you change supplier, no, you don't.

RV510 10:47 09 Feb 16

Correction on your supplier physically reading your meter, they should do so at least once in every 2 years. There's lots of information on the subject of smart meters on the 'net.

morddwyd 10:50 09 Feb 16

It'll be a cold dy in hell before I go down this road again.

My supplier offered me one a few years ago and I took up the offer.

Having waited in all day no-one turned up and when I enquired what had happened I was told that the engineer had come but there was nobody in.

I re[lied that not only were we both in, but there was some major structural work going on and the front door was open all day.

No reply, no explanation, no apology.

I might be retired but I have better things to do with my time.

Yimbo 10:51 09 Feb 16

Thanks RV510. I appreciate your assistance. I think I'll have to do a bit more digging into smart meters before I decide.

mbc 10:56 09 Feb 16

Yimbo-just hold on a while. There is a major consideration to take into account. Have to go out now, but will explain later. PS it could mean an increase in your leccy bills for the same use as now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

What’s happening in VR right now: From psychedelic art to combat therapy

Siri not working? Try these troubleshooting fixes