Small daily aspirin dose 'cuts cancer risk'

peter99co 12:22 07 Dec 10

click here

I wish they would make their minds up. I started some years ago until the doctor/nurse at our practice said not to take Asprin. The nurse later said "the jury is out"

It may be to late now because my 50 birthday is long gone.

The milk drink included seem very sensible.

Bapou 15:05 07 Dec 10

4 years after taking aspirin daily as prescribed by the doctor, during a non related appointment he said I was to stop taking them. "Why?" "Because they don't work."

That was it, no further comment on the matter.

Thinking back, there was a day when I accidently cut a finger slightly. Nothing to shout about really except I just could not stop the blood flowing. Drove to the A&E and a couple of stitches cured it. Nurse, during the procedure, asked if I was taking aspirin, "yes" "thought so, thins the blood, sometimes too much."

Could that have been the answer? Have never been told otherwise. Already on the 'old age' medication as I call them, seems to be enough, there being no alternative to aspirin.

jakimo 15:19 07 Dec 10

I was told the same as you,
puts doubt in the mind about the latest claim about the length of ones index finger and prostrate cancer..Its as relevent as saying if one ear is larger than the other,then you may have a brain tumour.

gengiscant 15:50 07 Dec 10

Was it not so long ago that another batch of scientists stated that taking a small dose of aspirin is not good for you?

spuds 17:14 07 Dec 10

It goes to show how medical opinions seem to change. A few months ago I attended my GP's practice due to a persistent heart burn sensation. Within a few minutes I was on the ECG machine, then drinking a glass of water with a 75mg dose of aspirin and being told that an ambulance was on its way.

Further investigations and observations then took place, with the end results to stay on the 75mg of aspirin, taken before going to bed. Even though this upsets my other daily medication for a stomach problem.

I don't know if its an old wifes tale, but they use to say cranberries was a good anti-cancer remedy?.

bjh 17:22 07 Dec 10

The problem here is that the public want a simple, easily digested answer, and the science/medicine is just not that simple - it rarely is.

There may be an advantage to taking aspirin for a number of conditions - unstable angina/heart conditions, stroke /TIA, bowel cancer, even headache!

However, there are a number of medical conditions for which taking aspirin is detrimental - for the under 12's (and various genetic groups) there's an increased risk of Reye's Syndrome, gastric ulceration, tinnitus, peripheral neuropathic conditions and the like.

There's no "typical" human biology; we're all a bit different, with differing biochemistry and genetics, various lifestyles and fitness regimes, and we all age differently. What may suit one person would be detrimental to another (that's one reason most drug prescriptions state firmly that the medicine is intended for you, and should not be passed on).

The "Meeja", as much as anyone, want an easily digestible story that they can present as a quick heading ... "Breakthrough in MS research" is one of the latest that's hit the news... and, believe me, it's anything but!

GP's may be good, following up on their continuing education with enthusiasm, or they may be less enthused, but they don't have a simple definitive answer because there isn't one!

peter99co 17:47 07 Dec 10

Add the milk part to your evening ritual, it helps the stomach according to the doctors.

Professor Elwood said taking aspirin at night and with calcium seemed to enhance its effects. He suggested taking it with a glass of milk as this could also reduce stomach irritation.

jack 17:57 07 Dec 10

Seem to run independently of each other following different parameters for a given set of conditions
and all so often wind up contradicting each other
which according to the aspect being investigated is correct.
A good example is the climate issue.
We all have to either ignore it or make your own valued judgment according to you perceived needs

peter99co 18:13 07 Dec 10

A little bit of what you fancy does you good?

Trouble is this has to be long term and if you get it wrong it's to late.

spuds 18:18 07 Dec 10

I will try the milk suggestion tonight. Thanks for that.

Forum Editor 19:04 07 Dec 10

that there's a very strong link between a small daily dose of Aspirin and a reduced risk of cancer. The problem with Aspirin is that it can cause internal bleeds - although the incidence of fatal bleeds is very low.

On balance there's probably an advantage to taking Aspirin, provided there are no contra-indications in specific individuals. The benefits don't kick in until you've taken the Aspirin for about four years, but you're protected for a long time after you stop.

As always the advice is don't self medicate - consult your GP before taking daily Aspirin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…