SLI and ATI

007al 20:35 16 Dec 05

I`ve seen a lot of places selling pc`swith SLI motherboards and ATI graphics cards in them.It just doesnt make sense to me! If you were to buy one of these systems,you couldnt use SLI without ousting the ATI card and buying two nvidia cards!
Can anyone see the reasoning in it?

SG Atlantis® 20:39 16 Dec 05

ya sure they say sli and don't mean "crossfire".

007al 22:17 16 Dec 05

I`m sure.
over the past few months,ive noticed on some online shops and in magazines.I always look at the spec of a pictured system and have noticed this.Someone on this forum bought a Mesh pc a few months back and was having trouble with it.When he posted the spec,it was an SLI with ATI graphics.Theres one advertised in micromart on page 27 this week too!

Mr Mistoffelees 10:45 17 Dec 05

But if you are happy with a single graphics card, and most people are, then it will not be a problem. Unless you find yourself short of PCI slots, again not a problem for most.

007al 18:33 17 Dec 05

Yes,but my point is that if you were to buy one,you couldnt just add another card later,you would have to buy two!

Mr Mistoffelees 20:09 17 Dec 05

Fair point, but, if you are happy with one card.......

007al 21:18 17 Dec 05

If you are not,and didnt know,but bought one... click here

Mr Mistoffelees 21:31 17 Dec 05

The lesson here is, think about what you might want to do in the future before buying a new pc.

007al 22:37 17 Dec 05

I dont see how this is a lesson! If anything,it should be a warning for companies selling pc`s.To sell an SLI capable system with an incompatible graphics card (for SLI)is misleading to someone that doesnt know they cant add another card at a later date.To use the SLI capabilities you would probably go back to the company from which you bought the pc,only to be told you need two new cards.This is double the cost,to which theres only one party gaining,and its not the customer!

Chegs ®™ 23:22 17 Dec 05

I glad I have chosen to hang-on awhile before I upgrade my system,as I want 2xGC and if they were to sell me a system that was SLi equipped but with an unsuitable card to add the second,I would also be somewhat miffed,especially with the price of 2x7800's.

ade.h 23:28 17 Dec 05

I agree totally with 007al. Not every PC purchaser is knowledgable about the finer points of graphics specifications.

It is utterly bizzare for a product manager to choose an SLI motherboard - as opposed to Crossfire or a single-slot layout - and then put an ATI card in it.

It makes you wonder what they're thinking of.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…