Sleep mode in hardware

paddyjack 11:20 23 May 06

Just a little story.

Having moved over to NTL I had to get a new router. I invested in a Sweex router. We all know that installing a router is not a particularly difficult operation usually just plug it in and maybe tinker with a few settings.

Plugged it in did the necessary set up routine all lights flashing all seemed to be in order (the operative word here is seemed), could not get on line.

The router could ping itself OK but that’s all. Spent the next hour checking cables, settings, digest the written word and PDF to no avail.

Start going through all the menus and clicking every OK button that presented itself. Then we came to the button that said WAKE UP, clicked on that one and 2 seconds later everything was fine.

Why is there no mention in any of the literature about having to wake the router up, or more to the point why ship it in a sleep state.

Anybody else got a tale about having to wake up their hardware?

De Marcus™ 12:32 23 May 06

Anybody else got a tale about having to wake up their hardware?

I could reply very ambiguously to that lol, but I won't, this is a family forum after all!

Anyway, I've also had a router that came with the same wake up mode, set to off when I bought it and not a peep about it in the manuals.

rmcqua 11:36 24 May 06

Whatever made you buy such an unknown brand of router?

ade.h 15:59 24 May 06

I have heard of Sweex, but I know next to nothing about it. As I tend to say when people ask; stay with one of the big four of five - Belkin, Linksys, D-Link, 3Com - and get access to a much larger userbase with more experience. Ask on this forum about a Sweex router and you're unlikely to get any specific replies.

ade.h 15:59 24 May 06

four OR five, even.

paddyjack 19:59 24 May 06

The main reason was cost £20, from what I've heard it’s reliable, and it can be used either ADSL or DSL.

ade.h 20:08 24 May 06

ADSL is a form of DSL. ADSL is Assymetric Digital Subscriber Line and DSL is, well, Digital Subscriber Line. Then there is SDSL, which is Symmetrical and has equal upload and download speeds. The "DSL" term is sometimes used in conjunction with "cable" when describing cable broadband services.

paddyjack 20:53 24 May 06

point taken ade.h ADSL and Cable it is in use with cable broadband NTL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…