a Slamming front door question

bumpkin 13:30 16 Mar 14

Hi all, a bit of an odd question for here but little else going on and maybe somebody can help.

I have a very heavy oak front door which nobody other than myself seems to be able to close without it slamming. I remember seeing many years back a small damper like device that engages in the last few inches of closing to prevent this. I have searched for such an item to no avail. As I am sitting here on the PC bang keeps going the door with people going in and out as it sunny. So I thought why not ask.

BRYNIT 14:13 16 Mar 14

I know of dampers for kitchen cabinet doors but never seen them for front door I could be wrong.

The problem I can see with a dampener for a front door.

1. You would have to wait for the door to close before you can lock it.
  2. The door may not close onto the latch properly.
  bumpkin 14:26 16 Mar 14

Thanks BRYNIT, I know of the kitchen ones and have them. With the front door I do not mean an automatic door closer which I hate anyway, it is just a small thing that engages just before the doors final closing and slows it down. There is a metal "shoe" about 4" x 1" which fixes to the frame and a roller thing on the door itself, I know that they exist or did as I have seen them in offices and public buildings.

Ex plorer 14:42 16 Mar 14

Something like this click here

Ex plorer 14:50 16 Mar 14
  bumpkin 14:52 16 Mar 14

Ex plorer, brilliant! that is it exactly. I will try to find a cheaper source but that or an equivalent is the item I mean, thanks.

bumpkin 14:56 16 Mar 14

Ex plorer, posted before I saw your second link. Your first one the damper is what I require not a closer. Thanks

hssutton 16:19 16 Mar 14

£8 at screwfix

spuds 16:22 16 Mar 14

Have you thought about looking in the Toolstation, Screwfix, Jewsons catalogues or websites?.

bumpkin 16:41 16 Mar 14

hsutton, that sounds more like it. Do you have a description or reference please.

spuds 16:51 16 Mar 14

Screwfix have a good range, and a new catalogue came out last week, so best to check on their website under 'Door Closers' for prices and reference numbers click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…