Sky comes down to earth - Ofcom permitting that is

TOPCAT® 22:58 08 Feb 07

"Sky to launch new service on digital terrestrial television...." click here=

Determined to cash in on everything, methinks! ;o)TC.

Forum Editor 23:21 08 Feb 07

for SKY, and I'm sure they'll make a success of it.

laurie53 10:28 09 Feb 07

It's about time OFCOM reined Sky in.

My local region now prefaces its local news bulletin with the phrase "For those of you watching on analogue, freeview or cable" since Sky will not show it.

How can they get away with deciding what part of a local station's output they will show?

Laurie

anskyber 01:51 10 Feb 07

I certainly hope OFCOM do not agree to the proposal by Sky.

Two reasons. Firstly the whole drive for Freeview is a terrestrial service free at the point of delivery and funded by either public license fees or advertising revenue.

The proposal by Sky will remove the opportunity for suppliers to offer a service because that part of the bandwidth used by Sky will be only available through a subscription and yet another digibox. It's a hijack of terrestrial bandwidth.

The other point is the newly freed up space created by the digital switchover beginning in 2008 is likely to be auctioned, I wonder who might win? The bandwidth should be retained by public service broadcasting to ensure there is any chance at all of high definition television broadcast on terrestrial TV.

Stuartli 16:51 11 Feb 07

The BBC was very upset when TopUpTV services commenced, because it nullified the Freeview tag for the service.

However, Freeview was conceived in 2002 by the BBC, BSkyB and Crown Castle UK after the ITVDigital demise, so such moves are understandable.

anskyber 17:31 11 Feb 07

I certainly understand the move. I do not agree though that OFCOM should agree to it.

Stuartli 01:23 12 Feb 07

But if people are to get the most from going fully digital (albeit fully in 2012 when maximum bandwidth will be available), then such services should be welcomed?

Sky is not a charity, although I know some people are upset that the loss of Sky Travel will mean they will miss out on the planned showing of Lost later in the year on the channel.

anskyber 13:59 13 Feb 07

No I do not think so. I am very uneasy about digital platforms being in the hands of the few.

The prospects for terrestrial High Definition are also reduced as well by selling bandwidth to the highest bidder, unless of course HD TV is a requirement of the bid process.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…