Skirting boards in a tiled bathroom?

Graham. 08:21 08 Jun 10

I'm going to have tiled walls and floor in my 'new' bathroom, is there any reason to keep the existing skirting boards?

Chris the Ancient 08:34 08 Jun 10

Most tiled bathrooms that I have seen tile down to floor level and use silicon sealant.

Makes it a darned sight easier to keep the bathroom easier to clean, as well.

Graham. 08:56 08 Jun 10

My thoughts, too.

Quickbeam 09:00 08 Jun 10

It's also the modern look to tile straight to the floor.

The older look retaining the skirting boards was usually because the home owner did a DIY half tile job and wanted to minimise the work done.

You don't need to paint them periodically, and as above it's more hygienic and watertight.

Bingalau 09:07 08 Jun 10

My bathroom is tiled down to the floor, but also has a wooden trim (I think it is quarter curved shaped) which takes the harshness off the join. It is sealed and painted white, but you can probably buy it in white anyway. My problem is getting something waterproof to match and to go around the base of the toilet and the sink. By the way if you want to keep your grouting in pristine condition install an extractor fan and use it whenever you are bathing or showering. The steam then is removed from the walls and doesn't get a chance to go mouldy.

wiz-king 09:31 08 Jun 10

Just be aware that in an older house the plaster does not usualy go right to the floor under the skirting board, you may have some filling to do!

peter99co 12:40 08 Jun 10

My rubber flooring is cut to curve up behind the the tiles for about an inch to prevent water seeping between the wall/floor gap. The corners are mitred and sealed.

birdface 13:14 08 Jun 10

very interesting just about to do some tiling soon and never thought about shifting the skirting board.But sounds like a very good idea.

And like wiz-king says. Just be aware that in an older house the plaster does not usualy go right to the floor under the skirting board, you may have some filling to do!

Now I believe the reason for that was to cope with the wood expanding or stretching so should we fill it up or just leave it the way it is.
Obviously the tile is going to cover it anyway.
And another thought.
If you tile it right to the bottom are you at risk of the tiles being moved or broken if the floorboards are old and creak and move a bit under your weight.
I suppose the Skirting board would come in handy then.
I know that you have to put a cover of hardboard or whatever over the original floor boards before you lay the floor tiles I suppose if nailed or screwed down it should not move.
Now I also wonder what you do if you get a burst pipe under your new floor at any time do you have to lift the floor or make a hole in the ceiling underneath to do the repair.

Quickbeam 13:39 08 Jun 10

"I also wonder what you do if you get a burst pipe under your new floor..."
Call a plumber, I would:)

birdface 13:53 08 Jun 10

I can stop and fix the leak it is the rest that I am worried about.
You know the old saying a little bit of knowledge is dangerous.

Toneman 14:07 08 Jun 10

Shades of Flanders & Swann "The Gas Man Cometh"...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…