Size is everything?

Mr Mistoffelees 10:57 08 Jan 07

I noted with interest the news of the imminent arrival of the first 1TB hard drives. This is all very well for those that need huge capacity but not everyone does, I only use around 40GB on my drives.

What I find myself wondering is why there seems to have been no progress beyond 7200rpm by most manufacturers, except Western Digital, in the SATA market segment? Actually we know the reason, SCSI drives sell with a bigger profit margin and the other manufacturers want to foist bigger and bigger drives on us because they are cheaper to develop and don't hurt the profitable SCSI business.

My point though is that 7200rpm drives, as CPUs get ever faster and programs get ever bigger, are increasingly the bottleneck in the system. I use two 10000rpm WD Raptors in RAID0 and they make a considerable difference to any operation requiring much HDD activity.

When fast PCs are put together HDD performance seems, too often, to be ignored and PCs are not as fast as they should be with the latest CPUs. Also it is about time hard drive manufacturers caught up with the pace of development in CPUs and graphics processors.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:14 08 Jan 07

Increasing rpm puts more stresses on the platters as centrifugal forces increase.

A way of overcomming the bottleneck is the introduction of cache on the drives typically 8Mb now.

Its more likely that BUS speeds are the bottleneck in most home systems.

spuds 12:45 08 Jan 07
  Mr Mistoffelees 12:51 08 Jan 07

"Increasing rpm puts more stresses on the platters as centrifugal forces increase."

Reliable 15000rpm drives have been around for years, SCSI only though, eg Seagate Cheetah.

"A way of overcomming the bottleneck is the introduction of cache on the drives typically 8Mb now."

That will help but is no substitute for faster platter rpm.

"Its more likely that BUS speeds are the bottleneck in most home systems."

The SATA bus can shift data faster than any HDD can sustain.

Mr Mistoffelees 12:52 08 Jan 07

That thread spawned this one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…